General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring Problem?

Ibought a 2001 CBR 600F4i in November last year, private sale. I never rode it until the other day, now I find out I have issues:

I took the bike outFriday for the first time (first time EVER being on a street bike)... riding is AMAZING!

I'm having a problem though... if I shut the bike off more than twice in a ride (I was out for two hours), it won't start again afterwards.

Friday I stopped a few times,& then it wouldn't start, so I charged the battery overnight & took it toa dealership(the battery)... they tested it & said that the battery was fine, so I put it back in the bike & it started up. I rode itSaturday for another two hours & stopped (ie shut the bike off) twice, no problem. Then the third time I shut the bike off, it wouldn't start again afterwards...

I borrowed a multimeter yesterday & tested the battery; here's whatI found; the battery fully charged had 13.03v, when the bike was running it was at 14.67v (apparently a little high, but still charging). Which means that there is probably something wrong with the wiring (as opposed to the charging system).

Since yesterday, when I turn the key to the bike, the signal indicators & high beam indicator stay on once the bike is started. The fuel injector does not make it's usual noise & all four turn signals come on & stay on (like running lights),& one signal indicator is dimmer than the rest. Also, if you try to use either signal directions, it kills the engine.

Battery voltage (ignition off - no load - drain current = <2 mA) after charging the previous day: 13.03V
Battery voltage (running at high idle): 14.67V
Battery voltage (ignition on, engine not running, turn signals acting as running lights): steadily decreasing from 12.96V down to 12.41V in under 30 seconds.
Application of the turn signal (L or R) acts like the kill switch.
OEM turn signals were replaced with mini signals,MESSY wiring by previous owner.

Sorry for the long post, anyone know what's up?

Old 04-03-2007, 12:45 AM
Default RE: Wiring Problem?

Sounds like you have a bad ground or a wire shorting out somewhere. Maybe when those lights were installed they weren't covered properly so they're shorting out on the frame or something. I converted mine to dual headlights awhile back and I had similar problems with wires touching the frame and shorting as well as not getting a good ground. After checking my grounds and taping off all open wires mine worked fine. Also check your master fuse block and make sure you have good connections there.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:49 PM

I had a headlight wiring harness & relay put in last November before I put the bike in storage for the winter... I called the shop that did it & they said to bring it in & they would check it out; so that's what I think I'll do... I'll keep you posted on what turns out...

Old 04-03-2007, 02:10 PM

these are the same symptomes my bike has that you posted

"Since yesterday, when I turn the key to the bike, the signal indicators & high beam indicator stay on once the bike is started. The fuel injector does not make it's usual noise & all four turn signals come on & stay on (like running lights),& one signal indicator is dimmer than the rest. Also, if you try to use either signal directions, it kills the engine."

i been trying to track down the problem for 3 months now and i finally gave the bike to my dad to look at cause he has done electrical work for 32 years. this is what we found so far. water in the speedo so now were letting it dry out and he is gona spray that with an anti corrosion chemical that also helps chase water out. we also found corrosion in 2 of the forward main harness plugs so were going to clean them up and take all the connection points apart and use electrical continuity grease on them.

if you do find the problem i would love if you would post what it is.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:24 PM

I'll update the post for sure once I find out what's what.

I don't know how long it'll take though since most shops are pretty busy... they said they would try to fit me in if I dropped my bike off, but seeing as this work was actually done last November, & they are only re-checking it, I imagine I will be pushed to the side. I returned some parts last week on top of it, so they aren't pleased with me already.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:09 PM

atv rider is having the same problem as us. i pmed him to see if he found the cuase he thinks its a headlight relay.

https://cbrforum.com/m_259937/mpage_.../tm.htm#260440

i also notice if you pull the headlight fuse u can start the bike.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:06 PM

Really, eh? A headlight relay? I was actually mistaken... I didn't have my wiring harness changed inNovember, I just had a relay changed.

I just dropped the bike off at the shop... I'll keep you posted.

Let me know if atvrider replies to your PM.

Thanks dude!

Old 04-05-2007, 05:00 PM

Got a call from the shop. Apparently there was a pin in the main wiring harness that was not making a connection.

Still doesn't explain why the battery is draining so fast though.

I just went & picked up my bike from the shopon my lunch hour; all the lights are back to normal except one of the signal indicators is still dimmer than the rest (I'm not sure if it was dimmer when I bought the bike or not... I never noticed).

One other thing that I didn't noticed or check that I just thought of was the fuel injector... I'll have to check again when I go home.

I took it home & threw the DMM on the battery; it's still doing the same thing as before - with bike off reading around 12.93v, when bike was running, it was 14+v & if the bike is just on, but not running, the battery drains FAST.

I'm thinking of putting one of my friends batteries in my bike & seeing what the readings are... does anyone know if all batteries for bikes are all the same? If not, how can I tell if a battery from a SV650 would be okay in my bike (CBR600)?

Old 04-05-2007, 06:03 PM

somename did they tell you what pin?? what it the ground wire pin

Old 04-05-2007, 07:54 PM

sure will, probably wont be till early next week. I ordered the part a lil bit ago, gonna take a few days to get here ofcourse.

just messing around w/ everything that seems logical. The fuel pump is workin fine. I have the same burn corrosion marks on teh same pin of the subharness. I also ordered another sub-harness.

Quick Reply: Wiring Problem?