General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a F4i rectifier work on a F4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Will a F4i rectifier work on a F4?

as the topic states will a F4i rectifier(regulator) woek on a F4? I seen in pix that a F4i unit has a wire n two plugs and the F4 unit just has one plug. Reason I ask is I did the 01-03 tail swap on my F4. I suspect my rectifier burning up and frying the battery as I posted in a previous thread. I was think of getting a F4i rectifier so it has the cooling fins and can mount in the spot it was intended on the subframe. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dewayne

Old 11-24-2007, 11:22 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Will a F4i rectifier work on a F4?

It wouldn't be a plug n' play swap, reason being what you said... F4i reg has it's own pigtail harness, whereas the F4 reg does not. But if it has the same # of wires (F4i has 7 wires.... 3 yellow to the stator, 2 green (ground I believe) and 2 red from batt), then you may be able to splice it, but I wouldn't recommend it cuz you'd have to do a really good splice job with solider and all that jazz to prevent any voltage drop, and then it would be more of a permanent thing you couldn't take off without cutting the wires. The voltage drop issue is one of the main reasons the VFR's have so many regulator problems... the wire that probes the batt voltage doesn't even sense it at the battery, it gets it's reading from an ignition wire. It goes through several connectors on each side of the splice, and each drops the voltage slightly (especially after a little corrosion, so the regulator sees a different voltage than the battery is actually at, and it incorrectly adjusts the amount of charge (resulting in overcharging because it thinks the battery is lower than it is). 2v can make a BIG difference!

I've thought about mounting a small computer CPU cooling fan onto the reg to help keep it a little cooler. I've seen some about the size of the regulator. Then just tap it into one of the relays that's always on when the key is on. Might be an idea to consider for the stock F4 reg

Did it melt the connector on your reg too? Usually when the stator goes out but sometimes it'll melt the connector too

Old 11-24-2007, 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

It wouldn't be a plug n' play swap, reason being what you said... F4i reg has it's own pigtail harness, whereas the F4 reg does not. But if it has the same # of wires (F4i has 7 wires.... 3 yellow to the stator, 2 green (ground I believe) and 2 red from batt), then you may be able to splice it, but I wouldn't recommend it cuz you'd have to do a really good splice job with solider and all that jazz to prevent any voltage drop, and then it would be more of a permanent thing you couldn't take off without cutting the wires. The voltage drop issue is one of the main reasons the VFR's have so many regulator problems... the wire that probes the batt voltage doesn't even sense it at the battery, it gets it's reading from an ignition wire. It goes through several connectors on each side of the splice, and each drops the voltage slightly (especially after a little corrosion, so the regulator sees a different voltage than the battery is actually at, and it incorrectly adjusts the amount of charge (resulting in overcharging because it thinks the battery is lower than it is). 2v can make a BIG difference!

I've thought about mounting a small computer CPU cooling fan onto the reg to help keep it a little cooler. I've seen some about the size of the regulator. Then just tap it into one of the relays that's always on when the key is on. Might be an idea to consider for the stock F4 reg

Did it melt the connector on your reg too? Usually when the stator goes out but sometimes it'll melt the connector too
I havent tore it apart yet. By what I seen the pig tail on the F4i rectifier looks as it might that the plug on the harness on the F4, but dont know about the wires yet. I'll get it off tomorrow and get back to ya. My cousin told me get another battery and check the voltage outputs too.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:16 PM

ok F4i rectifier has 3 yellow wires, 2 red, and 2 green. The F4 has 3 Yellow, 1 red/white wire, and 1 green wire.