General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the pain going to be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 04:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the pain going to be?

So I have quite a dilemma on my hands. I bought this bike knowing it had some tricky wiring mistakes from the previous owner trying to install HID's and failing horribly. It worked well enough everything worked except that the right blinker when on, would turn off the headlight until the blinker came off. I finally went in and investigated I found out that headlight added delay relay was nonexistent all the headlight wires prior are there still hooked up. The headlights were being powered by the left over right blinker wire. It had 2 prong flush mounts that didn't use the running light extra. So that explained why the headlight turned off due to the blinker. So I put it back together, and having the worst luck it seems, as I shuffle the wires around mounting the front fairing I go to turn the ignition on and I find that the little whir of the fuel pump (or is it the fuel injectors? I'm so new to motorcycling btw) is no longer present and the bike won't turn on. Electrical was working, brake lights, blinkers, and horn. But no start, no whir, not even the click of the starter. Continuing this bad luck, shortly after that trying to work my way around the shoddiest wiring work ever (they had used scotch tape in some place for ****s sake) when I'm removing the fairing again a ground (green) wire touches one of the headlamps positive side and electrical just goes completely dead. Everything. SO at this moment my bike is just a lump of metal and plastic. Any help, please please please.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 AM
Default Also

Sorry, my bike is a 2001 cbr600 f4i it's pretty much stock except for the flush mounts and an undertail kit

Old 05-07-2011, 04:32 AM

If you had power on, and touched a hot wire to ground, it could have potentially blew the 30 amp main fuse. Check all of your fuses to see if any of them blew.

For the fuel pump issue. More than likely you disconnected the Bank Angle Sensor somewhere along the way of your diagnosis. It is located in the upper fairing, behind the headlights. It probably shares the same wiring harness as your gauge cluster. The BAS controls the fuel pump and if left unplugged, the fuel pump will not come on.

Check to make sure everything is plugged in. Look for wires going between your headlights. You may have to remove the headlights from the upper fairing to give it a proper inspection.

Also, check your killswitch. Some models will shut power down to the fuel pump if the kill switch is activated.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:45 PM

Ok so I went out and bought fuses, electrical tape, shrinks, etc and I rewired everything according to the wiring diagram. Everything works now, the bike starts easy, blinkers work, but now.... the headlights arent turning on. and just that.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:01 PM

how are the hids connected to the stock wiring? is it splice in or is it a separate wire from somewhere? the low beam should be spliced into a i believe is a blue/brown wire and the highbeam should be a white wire. I may be wrong on the colors but that should help

Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM

Alrighty, I fixed most things. I had to connect the headslights to the leftover blinker running light extra wires. All the wires are connected properly but the actual headlight (blue and bluewhite) wires dont work when connected. They're completely dead. But for now I have headlights and all my electrical is working.