Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

pain at the pump....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pain at the pump....

Went to the local gas station today during lunch. Big mistake. Every pump is taken. I see a pump on the other side open up, and as I'm turning the bike (handle bars at full lock)...I stall, step on one of the metal tank covers....and go down. hard. Everybody turned to look, so I just put the visor down, went to the pump...filled up and left. Not too much damage: some SLIGHT scratches on the right motor cover (low enough you can't see it), foot is kinda banged up...but the pride is hurting a ton.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Default RE: pain at the pump....

There are only 2 kinds of riders... those who have layed it down, and those who WILL lay it down.

Welcome to the second kind... as long as you are not hurt, tis all good.

The trick to slow manuvering is to slip the clutch with more RPM than you really need to ensure you don't stall.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:30 PM

so far I've been lucky enough not to drop it around town or in front of anyone...I did dump it making a 90* right hander that dropped down a steep hill...got too far over and the dropoff of the road was too low for me to put my foot down. my shoulder was a little strained from trying to get the bike up from such a steep angle but I'm just glad there was no damage(down at less than 5mph in the grass) and most of all...no witnesses lol.

It's my first time riding to school this semester and all over campus they got carried away with the bright yellow crosswalk paint, not just stripes but fully covered parts of the asphalt and I used to drive my camaro around on campus and these areas were horrible for traction when they were wet...like ice so I always had to pussyfoot around campus when it was raining. On a bike it's 10x worse, I leaned through a slight right the other day and felt the front wheel slide, not going fast or anything but it about scared me to death...not because it would have really injured me or did any damage but the campus was crawling with people. There's always those people that would laugh at you and there's the good folks who'd make sure you were okay regardless of the severity of the drop.

Old 08-22-2008, 06:47 PM

i've dumped mine....coming to a stop on a messed up street...was on the ground before i knew. nothing broken on me or the bike.stood the bike up still running...i got up laughing like "wow...did that just happen"

Old 08-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Better to be sitting still then going 55mph for your first time. Glad all sounds to be ok though.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 PM

I guess its time to pull out the Sharpie for those scratches.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:42 PM

Thats when you just lay on the ground and start twitching or grabbing your chest.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:35 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

Thats when you just lay on the ground and start twitching or grabbing your chest.

i seriously considered doing that.
these bikes are fast:
0 to 60 in 3.13 seconds.
badass to dumbass in under a second

Old 08-23-2008, 12:09 AM

i feel your pain man. I dropped my bike at probably the same gas station. I was putting air in the tires... wasn't even on the effin' thing!!! [:'(]

Old 08-23-2008, 01:51 AM
Retired Moderator

When I was at Laguna Seca the year before last, I had an embarrassing moment. In order to get to your campsite, you had to show your wristband. I stopped in the gravel to show it to the "marshall", and stopped on a spot that had some asphalt. Unfortunately, when I put my feet down, my left foot was several inches lower in the gravel than my right foot which was on the stability of the blacktop.My left footslipped across the pebbles as I struggled to keep her upright,and I grabbed a handfull of gas (thank God I kept the clutch in the whole time), but wound her up to the redline about three times as I tried desperately toregain my footing. I garnered every look in that campsite before I was finally able to keep her steady. If there was ever a time I wanted to wear a paper bag on my head, it was that day. I felt like a complete tool. Guess what...it didn't matter. You may have had a spill, but it is nothing to be ashamed about. The chances are excellent that nobody will remember you. The good news is, you weren't hurt and your bike is none the worse for the wear.

Quick Reply: pain at the pump....