General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremar
A lot of people recommend pilot road 2s for the life expectancy, I read online they are sport touring tires? How does this effect their grip and performance under aggressive driving?
Its all based on your skill level. Do you have track experience? Do you use all of your tire in corners? If you answer no to these questions, you will not be pushing any cheaper or touring tire to its limits.

Last edited by Dissevered; 02-10-2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:58 AM

I have been riding for 3 years but no track experience and not many corners that require me to use all of my tire around here. I just don't want to run into issues down the road as my skill progresses

Old 02-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Im running 2CT's, and before that I had some Dunlops. I hated the Dunlops as soon as I got the Michelins on.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Continental Conti-Motions. Have been pretty nice so far.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tremar
I have been riding for 3 years but no track experience and not many corners that require me to use all of my tire around here. I just don't want to run into issues down the road as my skill progresses
Well just to give you an idea. I ran my first track day on pirelli diablo tires. I was almost able to get a knee down, and used the very edge of the tire and was moving MUCH faster than I ever did on the street.

I used to ride what I thought was aggressive on Avon sport touring tires and never had a problem on the street, I would definitely never use them now though as I move much faster.

Also note that the sport touring tires usually cost more, but last a little longer. The life to price ratio is similar, all this means is you spend the same, but need to change tires less often which can save you if you take them to a shop.

My opinion is that you could use touring or street grade tires no problem. As I said, I think the Diablo (not rosso, just plain pirelli diablo)has the best price still... I honestly would run that or a sport touring tire if you want to save yourself tire changing costs.

The day that you look at your rear tire and notice you ride all the way on the edge, is the day you should be looking at softer tires. However, none of the tires the other guys are bad, I am basically letting you know that you can get away with a lot more than you think.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:50 PM

As a fellow F3 owner, I have had great luck with my Bridgestone Battlax BT-003 tires, but I probably ride a bit more aggressively as well. I've heard of people getting 5k miles or more out of a set with a moderated right hand, and if you ever do get into a sticky situation that requires evasive manuevers, it's reassuring to know you've got a good set of tires underneath you. They run $133 or so for rear and $109 for a front.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM

My rear 2CT was $122 shipped.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dissevered
Well just to give you an idea. I ran my first track day on pirelli diablo tires. I was almost able to get a knee down, and used the very edge of the tire and was moving MUCH faster than I ever did on the street.

I used to ride what I thought was aggressive on Avon sport touring tires and never had a problem on the street, I would definitely never use them now though as I move much faster.

Also note that the sport touring tires usually cost more, but last a little longer. The life to price ratio is similar, all this means is you spend the same, but need to change tires less often which can save you if you take them to a shop.

My opinion is that you could use touring or street grade tires no problem. As I said, I think the Diablo (not rosso, just plain pirelli diablo)has the best price still... I honestly would run that or a sport touring tire if you want to save yourself tire changing costs.

The day that you look at your rear tire and notice you ride all the way on the edge, is the day you should be looking at softer tires. However, none of the tires the other guys are bad, I am basically letting you know that you can get away with a lot more than you think.
I was originally thinking of going with Pirelli Diablo Supersports but then when looking, saw the Rosso looked more street oriented. How do these compare to 2CTs in performance? And how was the life expectancy of those tires? Thank you

Last edited by Tremar; 02-10-2011 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Edit: Whats the difference between Pilot Powers and 2CTs as far as performance and tread life?