General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What The Hell Happened?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What The Hell Happened?!?!?

Well, I was at the shop for two and a half hours today, and there was no definate diagnosis. Dangit!! However, they do BELIEVE that it was due to low idle and possibly bad gas. Also, I got new tires for FREE today. Dunlop Qualifiers!! woohoo. Something good came out for being there!!

Old 09-20-2006, 08:12 PM

you're low on oil, the engine overheats and seizes.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:30 PM

No I'm not low on oil. Also, the bike is only at 130degrees. Its not over heating. Its all been checkd into

Old 09-21-2006, 12:05 AM

But explain how the rear tire actually locked up the first time. At 20 mph it shouldn't lock up.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:16 AM

Becaus, its like when you stuff your bike of while its in gear, and trying to move it. The bike completely shut off, so it locked up. I am not sure why, but that is what caused it. So it would be like going down the road in first gear, and shutting the bike off, the tire will lock up

Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 AM

your tire shouldnt lock up(well possibly at real slow speeds) if the engine shuts off well at least at about 50-60 it dont i accidentally hit my kill switch one time and i rolled all the way to a stop with no locking up of the back tire, i dunno whats wrong with ur bike but be careful.

Old 09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive done that, but i am always in neuutral, there have been times when my battery was dead and i tried to pop the clutch and it wasnt working, but when i would dump the clutch the tire would lock up.

and how did you manage to get new tires? that is sweet!

Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: D2MEclipseGT_600RR

Becaus, its like when you stuff your bike of while its in gear, and trying to move it. The bike completely shut off, so it locked up. I am not sure why, but that is what caused it. So it would be like going down the road in first gear, and shutting the bike off, the tire will lock up
Actually, if you kill the engine it won't lock up just because it is in gear. Think about it, that's how you push start a car, or bike for that matter.

On my FZR doing 85 I accidentally hit the engine kill switch. Turned it back on and let it start itself since the wheels were turning the motor.

Like others have said, regardless of your transportation issues you need to work that out first and not ride it until the problem is solved. You don't need to be going at freeway speeds and have it lock up. I'd rather not read about you in the paper bro.

Look at it this way, what must happen for the tire to lock?

The chain needs to stop moving. So what would make the chain not move? The motor must have stopped turning and was not able to be forced to turn by the wheel. That is a f*cking major issue on a motorbike. (edit: or the wheel couldn't turn because of a bad bearing)

I'm not sure what the shop did, but I think you should change your oil. When you take the old oil out you can look at it for clarity, metal filings, grittyness, etc. It will tell you a lot about your motor. Pull your plugs and look at them, are the heads fouled, are they wet?

A competent the shop can do a leak down compression test, this is also something I would have checked out.

Anyway, based on the tire lockup I'm guessing it is some sort of mechanical failure. I know you had it die twice without the lockup, but your motor siezing like that is an extremely serious issue, much more serious than having it stall out that's for sure.

Do not ride the bike until you have the issue resolved.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM

Well, it has been running great since.The idle is back to normal around 1400 (as opposed to the 600-700 it was running at). It doesnt sound sluggish anymore. I think I might change my oil this weekend just for the hell of it to make sure since so many of you have mentioned it. How much does everything usually add up to for the oil and the filter?

Well, I have had the bike in there a couple times of them to check because I thought that the cam chain tensioner was abnormally loud (but I guess I was wrong) but the guy I deal with wass like "You got some bridgestone's on there now, and they pretty much suck, so if you tell me you have nail in there, I will put some new Qualifiers on there for you" ... so I had a nail in my tire!!! Just breaking in today!!!!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10 bucks for the filter, 7 bucks a quart for Honda HP4

Quick Reply: What The Hell Happened?!?!?