General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What brand of engine oil to use?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010 | 01:07 PM
|
Default What brand of engine oil to use?

Ok, so I'm sure there are a million posts on this, but I couldn't find them, so send me the link if you already know where they are. Otherwise, I'd be happy just to get some advice.

I've got 2600 miles on the '05 F4i and I'm going to pony up and get the honda factory filter. However, I guess I just never paid attention before, but I didn't know that all Royal Purple is synthetic. I was going to buy some last night and then when I saw the synthetic on there I decided I'd ask around first. I've been told in the past not to use synthetic in bikes. Anyone want to provide a reason to or not to use synthetic oil?

BTW, I got the bike with 1500 miles and this will be the first oil change I've done on it. The old oil was pretty clean when I drained it yesterday.

What do you use and why? I'm also not happy about paying nearly $10/qt.

Old 05-24-2010 | 01:14 PM
Administrator - Retired

I've been told in the past not to use synthetic in bikes.
That's completely ridiculous. You can run either, and switch back and forth all you like.

I run rotella T, either synthetic (blue bottle) or regular dino (white bottle).
It's cheap and it's great oil. Around $20/Gal for the synthetic. $27 for 2.5gals of regular.

But yeah, this question has been asked probably 1 million times here, and you're gonna get all kinds of "best" oil answers. The only thing I'd definitely steer clear of is "energy conserving" car oils and the budget brand BS.

Plus, on the filters, I run purolators from advance auto. Nobody yet has been able to convince me that the honda filters are any better/different.

Edit: HERE is a link if you'd like some additional info in oils. Pretty good article.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 05-24-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2010 | 01:43 PM

I used the Honda oil but it was pricey and I also used the OEM filter and it cost like 2x as much as what I use now..

I now use

Purolator PL14612 PureONE Oil Filter and Mobile 1 4T racing full synthetic 10/40. I was using the Honda filter and HP4 oil. I noticed better clutch shifting with the mobile 1. I was reading the PureOne oil filter is really good so I gave it a try

Price for the s Pure 1 filter was 4.65
and the Mobile 1 was 8.58(on sale) a qrt at Auto zone (New Hampshire)

Its your call. Im sure I will change brand of oil again but for now it helps me in the wallet department

I Have a 06RR

Old 05-24-2010 | 03:46 PM

Go to wal-mart, get yourself some Shell Rotella T in the blue jug (NOT the white one, it has that energy conserving additive crap), and a super tech filter ST7317 (its for the civic), its a bit longer than the stock but that makes it easier to change. I pay 22 bucks total for my oil change, and everything I use is higher quality than OEM.

Old 05-24-2010 | 07:59 PM
Administrator - Retired

(NOT the white one, it has that energy conserving additive crap)
NOT true. The white bottle 15-40 does not. I run it all the time and have it in both of my bikes right now.
It's also JASO-MA certified.

And although I don't run the 10W30 stuff (because 30 isn't recommended for the higher temps), according to the bottle... it doesn't carry the "Energy Conserving" starburst, either..... (unless they changed it very recently)

Name:  rotellabottle.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  104.1 KB

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 05-24-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2010 | 10:55 PM

One thing to keep in mind with buying filters and trying to save money is to make sure the filter has an anti drain back valve, like the factory one does. Many cheap filters do not have these, and if it doesnt have one, all of your filtered oil will drain back into the engine since the filter sits horizontally instead of vertical like most car engines do.

I always buy factory filters. I might be overpaying, but at least I know it was intended for my bikes flow rate and orientation of the filter. and I'm only overpaying by 10 bucks once, maybe twice a year. So I can live with it.

Old 05-24-2010 | 11:46 PM

And the more insecure you are about the oil choice, the more frequently you can change it to offset that risk.

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:20 AM
Administrator - Retired

One thing to keep in mind with buying filters and trying to save money is to make sure the filter has an anti drain back valve, like the factory one does.
I know that 100% of purolator filters do. All their standard and pureone filters.

Old 05-25-2010 | 10:42 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012

LOL nice big pic there Trout .............. last night I was like 10, 9, 8 , 7
when's Trout gonna but in with the Rotella not being energy conserving

Suffice as to say good oil that Rotella std

Using Castrol 4T 20/50 heavy weight (dino) for the summer myself atm $15/gal at Pepboys

Switch back to a lighter weight in the fall when it's cooler weather.

Oh yeah and Napa/Wix all have the valve in 'em .....I use an upsized one on my bike

Last edited by Sprock; 05-25-2010 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-25-2010 | 11:11 AM
|

Thank you guys very much for the info. I'm still listening. I called the dealer this morning and the factory filter is $13 compared to a Wix is $11 at Oreilly's. I don't really see any real savings there. The way guys were talking, I was afraid the factory filter was gonna be like $25 or something.

The Honda oil at the dealer is $9/qt compared to $8.50 for the royal purple. I was surprised that the dealer I called didn't sell royal purple considering that's what I used to use on my ZX6, because the dealer recommended it. That dealership sold it.

I hope that 10w-40 will withstand Houston heat in August, but I'm a little nervous. I don't live there, but I'm supposed to drag the bike down there to race my brother's drag car and I'm sure the track temps will be triple digits. I don't want to fry anything.

Going to pick up my D&D exhaust after work today! Woohoo!!!
Will probably post questions about installing the power commander next week.