General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Urgent: cbr 600 f4 clutch install help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent: cbr 600 f4 clutch install help!

Hello guys,

My clutch plates and springs are about to be delivered in 2hours and I need some advice.
How long do I need to soak the plates in oil?(15minutes? 24hours?)
If I pull out my old friction plates do I need to put the new ones in the exact order?(first one is thinner and then standards ones and the last one is thicker and needs to be placed 1friction teeth to the right?)

After installation and wanting to go for a ride where do I need to look at for any incorrect installation?

I have new oil and filter, new gaskets and frictionplates and springs.

Sorry for my terrible English.

Old 11-23-2013, 02:28 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I soak my plates overnight, they do need to be put in the correct order however I did not know that the first and last plate were different from each other, with the OEM clutch pack the first and last should be the same and marked with a green tip on one of the teeth, the last friction plate does need to be offset from the rest like you stated. You need to make sure that all of the spring bolts are at the proper tension, the clutch cable it adjusted properly and that the clutch slips when you want to and id does not when you dont. Good luck with putting the new clutch in, I thik the hardest part of ding it is getting the cover off

Old 11-23-2013, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
I soak my plates overnight, they do need to be put in the correct order however I did not know that the first and last plate were different from each other, with the OEM clutch pack the first and last should be the same and marked with a green tip on one of the teeth, the last friction plate does need to be offset from the rest like you stated. You need to make sure that all of the spring bolts are at the proper tension, the clutch cable it adjusted properly and that the clutch slips when you want to and id does not when you dont. Good luck with putting the new clutch in, I thik the hardest part of ding it is getting the cover off
Well, I've tried with a friend...what a ****ing disaster..

It's like my motorcycle never got it's care on the clutch.. it took ****ing 1hour to take it off, the oil bult never came out i broke down like 6tools..
like that wasn't enough the ****ing clutch plates and springs were both 1 too many? what does this mean? it's the wrong product? which also got delivered 1week too late?
I tried to use it still and the clutch cable got all ****ed up i dont know how it ended up like that but couldn't shift let alone starting the bike..
now i have a bike that cannot run, has the wrong clutch installed which i might not get a refund for and a garage needs to pick it up and with a 78euro a hour i can say this was a 500euros ****ing joke.

/rant.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:32 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

What do you mean one too many? there should be 5 bolts and springs.

Last edited by CJardine; 11-24-2013 at 03:37 PM. Reason: corrected
Old 11-24-2013, 06:50 AM

What do you mean one too many? there should be 6 bolts and springs.
my cbr 600 fx 1999 has 5 springs and 7 friction plates.
The kevlar ebc street plates came with 8 and 6 springs?
I dont think they will just give 1 free what is the point of that?
Also I just picked 1 of the middle plates out and put in totall of 7 friction plates in it like my bike used to but when i try to put the clutch cable back on there is no pressure? even on the cover the clutch adjustment thing doesnt have any pressure either:/

Old 11-24-2013, 08:46 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. The parts finder list on the Honda East Toledo website shows 5 springs, 5 bolts and a total of 7 friction plates (2 of one size and 5 of another). However, when I did Google search for this EBC Kevlar clutch kit it shows 6 springs in the pics.

I don't have a solution, just an observation as I was trying to help solve the problem.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:47 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

Yea, I look at a photo of mine, its 5. Ok we can get this fixed if you want to, so you got the cover off, did not get the oil drain bolt off, have 7 friction plates-6 steel-5 springs and bolts, correct? Do you have the service manual yet or found a walkthrough online? You guys can do this its just hard the first time. I can post up a how-to if you need it. Can you take photos of the problems you are having and post them up? Thanks.

hName:  IMAG0007_zps498f1335.jpg
Views: 3364
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  P9041726_zpsb4f0fd75.jpg
Views: 7796
Size:  103.0 KB

Name:  P9041716_zpsb3cf7fa1.jpg
Views: 3974
Size:  97.1 KB

Old 11-25-2013, 02:56 AM

Yea, I look at a photo of mine, its 5. Ok we can get this fixed if you want to, so you got the cover off, did not get the oil drain bolt off, have 7 friction plates-6 steel-5 springs and bolts, correct? Do you have the service manual yet or found a walkthrough online? You guys can do this its just hard the first time. I can post up a how-to if you need it. Can you take photos of the problems you are having and post them up? Thanks.

h

I wish the plates were as marked as you have right there.
To sum my problems:
-Oildrain bolt doesn;t want to come off, broken down multiple tools and used wd40 didn't help.
-previous plates were 7, 5 bolts and springs and 6 steelplates, the EBC kevlar race ones came with 8plates and 6springs and bolts.
-Also when I tried to use 5 bolts and 7 plates instead all of them which is impossible because I have only 6 steel plates and there is no room for more and tried to put the cover back up and the clutch cable there was no pressure, all loose, the reason I couldn't shift..

I really want to avoid going to the dealer.
My friend helped me and came from another town(2hours drive) because i didn't had any tools but it's time to get my own tools.

Can you post your how-to in the meanwhile so I can pull my clutch cover off and try to make pictures.

PS: one of my burned old plates were just broken, also the steelplates has some blue markings(new one really needed?), and were kinda dark.

If I pull my clutch cover back off which I just put new gasket stuff on it do I need to clean it and put new gasket?

Thank you so much for all the help.

PS2: I used online walkthrough, but I really didn't expect so many setbacks. It seemed pretty easy and obvious. I kinda underestimated this as a complete noobie to technical stuff.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:26 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

This video is pretty accurate and the procedure is the same for the FX, however they fail to mention a few things. The first and last friction plates are different from the rest, and should go in respectively, for the OEM clutches the first and last friction plate are the same. They display eight friction plates however only install seven of them which is the correct amount, so you should have an extra middle friction plate. The last friction plate that they put in is incorrectly installed, it should be rotated and it's teeth should be placed in the shallow groove unlike the rest. Lastly, you will need to reapply gasket sealer, I prefer to do one solid bead around the cover instead of smearing it, then finger tighten all thirteen bolts and let the gasket cure for 30 minutes; then torque the bolts in a crisscross pattern starting with the numbers near the bolt holes. Other than those differences they do a good job on explaining how to replace the clutch and I don't think I could do it better.

The steel plates should be ok, normally I would replace them as the blue on the steel is a sign of a burnt clutch, especially if its in the budget, but if money is tight... You should however, measure the steel plates with a caliper, they can be had at a local car parts store for cheap. I have one and its just as accurate as my $200 analog one. The minimum wear limit for them is 3.1mm. Also make sure that non of the steel plates are warped.

What kind of oil are you using? EBC recommends not using synthetic, you could get away with a synthetic blend and safer still with organic oil.

Last edited by CJardine; 11-25-2013 at 05:29 AM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:09 PM

This video is pretty accurate and the procedure is the same for the FX, however they fail to mention a few things. The first and last friction plates are different from the rest, and should go in respectively, for the OEM clutches the first and last friction plate are the same. They display eight friction plates however only install seven of them which is the correct amount, so you should have an extra middle friction plate. The last friction plate that they put in is incorrectly installed, it should be rotated and it's teeth should be placed in the shallow groove unlike the rest. Lastly, you will need to reapply gasket sealer, I prefer to do one solid bead around the cover instead of smearing it, then finger tighten all thirteen bolts and let the gasket cure for 30 minutes; then torque the bolts in a crisscross pattern starting with the numbers near the bolt holes. Other than those differences they do a good job on explaining how to replace the clutch and I don't think I could do it better.

The steel plates should be ok, normally I would replace them as the blue on the steel is a sign of a burnt clutch, especially if its in the budget, but if money is tight... You should however, measure the steel plates with a caliper, they can be had at a local car parts store for cheap. I have one and its just as accurate as my $200 analog one. The minimum wear limit for them is 3.1mm. Also make sure that non of the steel plates are warped.

What kind of oil are you using? EBC recommends not using synthetic, you could get away with a synthetic blend and safer still with organic oil.

Honda F4i Clutch Install - YouTube
Thanks for the reply.
After a rant mail to the company they mailed me back saying you can still box the plates and springs and send them for us so we can send the right ones back.

But you mention I can still use these but leave 1 middle friction plate aside which i did actually because it seemed pretty obvious. But the first one going in was a thinner plate the latest one seemed kinda the same can't remember though.
What should I do? send them back and wait another 2weeks? Or try to use this one?
The springs were pain in the *** because they were heavier ones.
I did 2 slipping clutch quick launch thingy which burned the plates so not sure if I want to replace the steel plates they didn't looked as bad as people show theirs on the internet.

at the videoyou mentioned: I used mostly this one but at 5:55 you can see the right nut on the clutch cable being on the right side and not thighened.
Mine is already thightened but still there is so many play in it, there is no pressure on the plates which won't allow me to shift.
I think If I can make it shift the whole install will work fine.
Tomorrow after school I will make pictures or even a video.

For the oil: I use semi-synthetic 10w40 Putoline.

Quick Reply: Urgent: cbr 600 f4 clutch install help!