General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upshifting problems (should I change fluid)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upshifting problems (should I change fluid)

I was on the track recently (I have motoGP shift on my F3), during the first few laps I was clutchless upshifting no problem
However, as the day went on, it became harder and harder to clutchless upshift. I got locked out of 6th. I had to use the clutch to get to 6th (which was pretty scary going triple digit speeds).

Then later in the day I got locked out of 4th. NOTE that it upshifted fine when I used the clutch, but it slowed me down a lot. Note that during the beginning of the day I had no issues. problem started when the day went on.

My other problem is I had trouble getting it into neutral as the day went on. At the beginning of the day, this was not an issue either.

Should I just change the fluid to something else? If so, which brand/weight should I go with? Is this where I should start to see if it remedies the problem?
Thanks for any feedback

Old 03-27-2006, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Upshifting problems (should I change fluid)

hey...how were you upshifting?
with reverse shift pattern should be so easy to jam it into gear...
were you letting of the throttel for a brief moment or keeping it pinned and just stomping on it.

10/40 is good but depends on where you're at.

Old 03-27-2006, 03:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

hey...how were you upshifting?
with reverse shift pattern should be so easy to jam it into gear...
were you letting of the throttel for a brief moment or keeping it pinned and just stomping on it.

10/40 is good but depends on where you're at.
Hi Tahoe SC,
Yes, I was letting off the throttle for a brief moment and then shifting. It was working great the first half of the day. After lunchtime, I started getting locked out. I was forced to use the clutch (which was pretty scary at around 140mph)

Thanks for the feedback on the fluid.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:59 PM

what is motoGP shift? is that some piece of hardware? because it was a track day and im sure you were riding quite hard, it seems to me that your tranny was just getting beat to ****! A stock transmission on a non RR bike is not ment to be shifted without using the clutch. by the time of your afternoon session you probably had reached the limit of your stock transmission. I would be careful with that tranny from now on.

but... if the motoGP is a piece of clutchless shifting hardware then disregard what i just said. but overall your issues seem like a stock tranny pushed to far. and keep in mind that you don't need to pull your clutch lever all the way to the handgrip. just a light pull to releave some of the presure from the gears should be enough to shift cleanly. also try keeping constant pressure on your shift lever before the shift. with pressure already on the lever then just a light clutch pull will free up your tranny and complete the shift. this method will have you moving you body less at shift times... a good thing at 140 mph!

Old 03-28-2006, 06:21 PM

ORIGINAL: jbrooksF2SuperSport

what is motoGP shift? is that some piece of hardware? because it was a track day and im sure you were riding quite hard, it seems to me that your tranny was just getting beat to ****! A stock transmission on a non RR bike is not ment to be shifted without using the clutch. by the time of your afternoon session you probably had reached the limit of your stock transmission. I would be careful with that tranny from now on.

but... if the motoGP is a piece of clutchless shifting hardware then disregard what i just said. but overall your issues seem like a stock tranny pushed to far. and keep in mind that you don't need to pull your clutch lever all the way to the handgrip. just a light pull to releave some of the presure from the gears should be enough to shift cleanly. also try keeping constant pressure on your shift lever before the shift. with pressure already on the lever then just a light clutch pull will free up your tranny and complete the shift. this method will have you moving you body less at shift times... a good thing at 140 mph!
MotoGP style shifter is instead of pulling the shift lever up to go to a higher gear you push it down, so the shifting is reversed. If I'm wrong let me know. I agree that your tranny had probably had it, but I don't know. Try changing your oil and see if that helps, but if not I wouldn't suggest to shift without the clutch anymore.

-Jesse-

Old 03-30-2006, 11:37 AM

thanks for the replies. I'm switching to 15w50 redline synthetic to see if that solves the issue. Figured I'd start simple first

And yes, motoGP shift is 1 up 5 down (instead of 1 down 5 up).

Thanks again