General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unusual electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual electrical problem

Hello everyone, names jp, and I decided to register after using the forum for quite some time.
I know that with the help from fellow members this problem will get resolved.
I ride a 93 cbr 600 f2 its my first bike and that means I wont be giving up so easily on this problem of mine.

Background info - before this winter there was a problem with the main fuse blowing everytime the battery was connected. I bought a brand new battery and the popping magically stopped making the bike rideable for the rest of the season, no problems at all and I mean 0 problems, started and rides perfect everytime! So I did winterize it somewhat by putting fuel stabilizer and disconnecting the battery making sure to charge it a few weeks ago. Besides that the bike was left in my house basement untouched until recently.

So the time comes to take the bike out of my basement to put er outside.
When I go to plug the battery up, POP!, goes the main fuse. :O. I tried 3 more times along with 3 more pops. I disconnected every connector plugging them in one by one until the main fuse popped. Turns out I isolated it to the 3p connector to the nuetral, oil pressure, ect sensors making the fuse pop. When I disconnected it the fuse didnt pop but it gets weird now. Specifically the nuetral sensor is makinf the fuse pop. Meanwhile when I put tbe key switch to ON I get no power no crank and no clicks. I also noticed the battry voltage does not go to the starter motor it stops at + terminal on solenoid even with the starter button pished in. Out of curiosity which of the four connections next to the fuse should be giving voltage through? Also when I do push the start button the brake light turns on so I can tell electricity is moving through the harness.

So i want to start simple with that information I just gave yall and work from there. Ive been trying different troubleshooti g techniques with no luck.
Uyour help is so appreciated, thanks in advance. I will be actively checking everyday.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:02 AM
Official Glory Detailer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah get wiring diagram wsm work shop manual theres pin point testing that the manual will show you . You will need tools as well . Fluke meter ect.. just remember keep it simple your blowing a fuse because something is shorting out could be a switch frayed wire or faulty component. . Do a super good visual inspection thew out the wiring and wiggle test with key on as well . The wsm will show you how to test components and switchs for dead shorts ect..