General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn signals/ Headlight issue.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals/ Headlight issue.

I'm pretty sure it's a bad wiring job by the kid who had the bike last (installed HID lights, and did a funky job of wiring), but when I turn my right turn signal on it turns my headlight off, until the right sig is turned itself off. How should I approach this? I pretty new at motorcycling, would rewiring it be relatively easy to learn from a wiring diagram? Or should I try and find someone who might know?

Old 04-12-2011, 07:58 PM

Bump ^^

Old 04-12-2011, 08:10 PM

i'd take a whack at the wiring myself. but if you're not comfortable with electrical then i'd suggest finding someone to do it for you

Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wow - I'm usually 1st to step in and talk people through their wiring issues - but that one sounds so effed up, I can't begin where to start.

I will say those 2 systems - turn and headlamp are at no point connected to each other in the factory wiring.

Waaaaiiiiiiiiittt.......dammit the more I think about this, now I think I know what's wrong. Lemme go get a beer and think about it a sec.

Old 04-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok- I got my beer, and thought this through. I see you're rocking a 01 F4i - (stuff like that would help in the initial description. btw)

1st - is it just a HID swap into an otherwise factory wiring harness, that was done by an imbecile? Cause it sounds like he wired the ballast trigger into the right side parking light positive feed. It it just the lo beam that turns off? or High? Is the high beam not the HID?

On our bikes the front signals have 3 wires, one is ground, the other 2 are the feed that makes the light light up whenever the key is on (parking lights) and the feed that is powered when the flasher is turned on. both of thos positive feeds come from the flasher relay box, and when the flasher is turned on, the 12v that was on the parking light positive is shut off while the blinker function is lit up.

I'm guessing if they did a hid upgrade, you probably have flush mount front blinkers or some fancy LED thing up there that doesn't even stay lit. Either that or guy didn't ralize the parking light positive turns off. Either way - if it is your right signal that only causes this - find the HID ballast and trace the wiring - there should be a ground, a power (run to the battery usually) and then some sort of connector that basically acts as an on/off feed for the system. At some point I bet there is a wire from the HID system that is tied to a light blue/white wire that is the right front parking light positive on your bike.

If so - unhook that lead from the light blue/white wire. Now it needs to be connected to the real low beam headlight feed for your bike. (this will probably be a reg Blue/White wire.)

If none of that seems to be what you're running into - pics of the wiring mess, esp every connection to the healight bulbs and the HID ballast might help.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:49 AM

It's going to be my Spring break project (I'm a student) along with changing the coolant out (also a new experience), so I will keep this thread updated on it and take lots of pics.
Thanks for the help!

Old 04-14-2011, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the tips as well. First vehicle at all actually so I'm learning all things having to do with vehicle fixes from scratch.