General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission rattle (?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission rattle (?)

Hey all,

Just bought my first CBR (2002 CBR600F4i). Been riding for about 6 months, and switched over from a VFR, which I put a lot of work into. I got my new bike last week and immediately recognized a slight rattle while driving. I was pretty sure it was the chain, since it was in pretty poor shape, and only heard the noise while driving. I had chain problems with my last bike and it sounded similar. Then today I realized that either the same or a different sound was coming from what I assume is the transmission. In neutral with the clutch let out i heard a low whine and rattle. with the clutch pulled in, the noise is gone. This was all while sitting still. I assume that this eliminates the engine being at fault, but perhaps I'm wrong. Any ideas would be welcomed. I have a repair manual and am happy to fiddle.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited by ale700; 09-25-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:53 AM

slight noise is normal. If its really loud, then one of the bearings in the clutch may be on its way out. But again, its not out of the ordinary for to hear a slight noise when the clutch is not engaged. More than likely, the noises are not related.

I would change the chain and sprocket and see if the riding noise goes away.

Also, Im not sure what bike you have, they didnt make an F4 in 92. if its a 92, that would be an F1, and F1-F3 series 600's were very common to have clutch noise.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest addressing the chain issue first. It's the easiest thing to address and eliminate in your situation as far as noises with the engine engaged.

Just seems odd that you hear the noise when the bike is in neutral. What do you hear when shifting gears? Is the sound there when you pull in the clutch to shift?

Old 09-25-2009, 02:03 PM

sorry, i meant 2002*, my mistake. I'm going to be taking care of the chain hopefully this weekend.

I hear what sounds like the regular clunk of shifting gears when changing up and down while riding. The bike has a custom exhaust so it's a little hard to hear the noise at higher speeds. There doesnt appear to be any noise when pulling the clutch in or with it fully in, it only starts when I start letting it out and it begins grabbing. A loose clutch bearing would seem to make sense. I flipped through my repair manual and dont see any mention of clutch bearings though, any suggestions where to look?

Old 09-26-2009, 04:30 AM

If you have the service manual, look at the procedure to replace the clutch. There is one large roller bearing that is on the lifter plate, this is usually called the lifter bearing. then there is another needle bearing that is located in the clutch outer, usually referred to as the starter bearing. Either on of these could cause the noise your hearing. But, if I had to guess, I would lean towards the lifter bearing since more load is on that bearing when the clutch is desengaged. the good news about that is its the easiest one to change and get to. You don't have to remove the entire clutch assmebly, just the cover of the clutch.

but again, a little noise is perfectly normal.

Last edited by justasquid; 09-26-2009 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:30 AM

thanks for clarifying. Found the refered parts in the manual. I suppose I'll do an oil change and check it out soon. Good to know my transmission isn't going down the tubes as i idle at red lights!

Old 09-28-2009, 02:21 PM

I agree with the other posters, clutch noise is normal. The fact that the pipe noise covers it up means that it's not that loud. Find some other riders with the same bike and listen to theirs for comparison, it's probably not a big deal. Noise when shifting is more often that not a loose chain, so check that also. Other than that, there is no chain noise at idle in neutral or in gear with the clutch pulled in. Enjoy the bike, at least half a ton lighter than the VFR!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Also, Im not sure what bike you have, they didnt make an F4 in 92. if its a 92, that would be an F1, and F1-F3 series 600's were very common to have clutch noise.
If it were a 1992, it would be an F2 not an F1.

Last edited by Kaneda; 10-13-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:24 PM

finally got it looked at in anticipation of extensive summer riding, and it turns out to be the inner grooves of the clutch were apparently falling apart at the point where they connect. I was able to ride it up till now, and was told I could probably make it the rest of the summer but eventually it would be very dangerous, and obviously decided to replace it. at the same time, there was some noise from a loose cam chain. both parts were relatively cheap and i'm just waiting for the parts to get in so i can get back to riding

Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose cam chain will be the cam chain tensioner - notoriously **** on our bikes.

Was the whining noise worn clutch plates or a worn clutch basket? The F4i does have a noisy clutch basket but if it was cheap then I doubt that is what they are replacing as they are typically quite pricey.

Quick Reply: Transmission rattle (?)