General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission probs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission probs?

As some of you know I broke the chain on my 600RR. Originally I asked if possibly it was a bad chain or master link. I'm waiting on my new chain and sprockets to come in so I went out to start the bike up and run it to charge the battery. I decided to run it through the gears and went up to third at about 7000 rpms and the speedo only read 38mph. Strange or not? So now I'm wondering if maybe the transmission locked up. This would explain how the chain broke right? Or is that even possible? Has anyone here ever heard of something like that happening? I'm almost afraid to ride the bike again thinking the next time I could crash.

Old 10-26-2006, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Transmission probs?

thats a tough one. good luck

Old 10-26-2006, 03:06 PM

the chain broke while riding eh? sucks at least it didnt' go through the crank case. it may be that the speedo sensor was damaged when the chain broke i dunno.

if the transmission locked up you are in a whole new world of hurt and hopefully you don't have metal floating around in your oil and whatnot

Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM

If you where able to got thought all six gears your tranny is more then likely OK. as for the 38 MPH your speedo senser maay have gotten screwed but I would put the new chain and sprockets on and ride it slowly for a little bit and see.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2006, 05:20 AM

Did you do a thorough inspection of you bike after the incident?

1) I am wondering if you checked your front and rear sprockets for signs of damage to the teeth.
2) What exactly were you doing when the chain broke?

If the transmission did lock-up and caused the chain to break, I would imagine a brief skid on the rear wheel. Since the transmission is apparently not locked now, I do not think it's the transmission. For safety, however, I would change the transmission fluid and inspect for any unusual signs of metal debris, such as metal chunks.

If you have the busted chain, check that for damage. If the master link or anywhere on the link failed, you should be able to see failure damage such as sheared pin. A failure damage would indicate to me that something forced the chain to break. A defective pin could fail under constant hard accelerations, or decelerations. I think it was just a bad pin somewhere on the chain. Have you talked to a service tech about this at your dealer? If I were you, I'd have them install the new chain and have the bike thoroughly inspected.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:30 PM

Actually it did break some teeth that is why I'm buying a new chain and sprockets. I was passing a car in maybe third gear and felt like it jumped out of gear no tire lock so I just coasted to the side of the road. I don't know if the speedo is gear driven or not maybe something there messed up.

Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 PM

If you broke any teeth on your sprockets, REPLACE THEM. no ifs ands or buts. sprockets with broken teeth arent good things. and replace both at once instead of one then another later. when you replace a chain, thats a great time to change em out.