General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools, tools, & tools... What where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This thread reminds me of my uncle James...he is hands on! Have all the tools! Snap-on high quality tools...back then it's either High End expensive Cheap **** made is China/ use once kinda tool.....he used to max out his credit cards just buying tools. Tools he only use once to service his car and he buys Snap-on...It is very addictive!

Last edited by gotcbr; 09-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just placed a 1900 dollar snap on order..............

Old 09-04-2012, 04:38 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen girls spending $4000 to $5000 on a Louis Vuitton handbag. It's normal for guys to buy expensive high quality tools like snap-on. As long as one can afford it and don't kill the wallet. It really vary from person to person, like myself, I have a complete set of mechanic Craftmans with a 3 section tools box which i purchase for myself for fathers day. It was in sale at ridiculously low price that I cannot pass up...after owning it 6+ years, I find myself only using a few common sized. For any new job that demand a one time usage, I rent the tool or get it cheap from Harbor Freight. But I was really impress by how well Pittsburg tools are built..for the money spent, it's definitely not one time use value. I would compare Pittsburg to like Home Depot' Husky. Really solid made...go check it out if you ever stop by HF...but of course, if you can afford it, buy snap-on, those are for life.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by UalRamper
I've run out of things that I need to buy from snappy. I kinda miss buying tools each week, but not the payment. I get on the truck now, or go to sears tool dept, and have everything already... except for a few things I'd never use.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:58 PM

i've found that the higher quality tools sometimes have a better fit, i was working with a harbor fright socket once and it seemed loose, then used a craftsman socket of the same size and it had a much better fit, maybe the difference was six point and 12 point, i dont remember but i would imagine a higher quality tool will have better manufacturing tolerances. the difference is only if you really care about slightly rounding edges of nuts and bolts. either way higher quality tools are going to be better in the long run, i have both craftsman and harbor fright tho i cant afford 100 dollar sockets sets. i like to hit up tag sales, you can find high quality tools for cheap sometimes

Old 09-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

It's very easy to do. All told I own well into 7 figures in tools, tooling and machines. I have doubles and triples at least of everything hand tool wise and in many cases backups to be used when a sacrificial need arises. Now happen to own a full cnc machine shop plus a fully equipt shop at my home (including a range of manual machining and a single smaller cnc) but sometimes I'm not so sure that has changed anything.

Last edited by zaqwert6; 09-04-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6
It's very easy to do. All told I own well into 7 figures in tools, tooling and machines. I have doubles and triples at least of everything hand tool wise and in many cases backups to be used when a sacrificial need arises. Now happen to own a full cnc machine shop plus a fully equipt shop at my home (including a range of manual machining and a single smaller cnc) but sometimes I'm not so sure that has changed anything.

Nice I like your style..............!!! you can never have enough

Old 09-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dragondima
I walked around Sears over the weekend and found plenty of "sets" that have 180 pieces, 354 peices, etc etc. None of that really matters to me. Mainly all i do is work on motorcycles, cars, and electrical things (computers included i'm a computer engineer).
those sets tend to get you most of the basics. more pieces = more tools, but the numbers can be deceiving. that packet of 25 allen wrenches (20 of which youll never use) still counts as 25 of a 250pc set. so read the box of what is included. sometimes they label one set a mechanics set, vs a tool set. mechanics will have more sockets and wrenches, where a tool set is more general purpose with screwdrivers, pliers, and a hammer.

like mentioned, youll want:
ratchets, 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2" if you work on cars or swingarm bolts.
sockets, preferably 6 point, standard and metric. in regular and deep well
full set of box end wrenches SAE and Met
Allen and torx wrenches (allens tend to be the key type, torx will probably be socket type). t handle allens are great as well
assorted screwdrivers and nut drivers
various pliers for hose clamps and etc

dont be surprised if you have to buy a mechanics set, then some separate sets of screwdrivers and torx. and use any job as an excuse to buy a new tool until you have them all. because having the right tools saves you time, frustration, and possibly even broken bolts or parts. saving money, not a chance

and if you can hold out another couple months, everything goes on sale during xmas (and fathers day)

Old 09-04-2012, 07:01 PM
Nov 2011 ROTM

Nice I like your style..............!!! you can never have enough

Well you start with buying everything you need.

If wrenching is your thing, then you start buying doubles of alot of things. Like end wrenches,rachets and sockets and such. Many times you need two of the same size at the same time or even minor variations of the same.

As it gets worse.... you start buying anything you find that's a good deal cause you know eventually your going to have to buy it anyway. I'll bet you didn't know you could actually save money by buying stuff, did ya?

At the extreme end, you start buying throw aways. Stuff thats a good deal but not really good stuff. These are the thing's I cut, grind,bend and/or shape into specialized tools for whatever reason. Also in this assortment live the tools I just flat out broke and warranty options have been exhausted as well as tools that I buy that I know I'm just going to break anyways.

At the very end of the deep dark cavern of the sickness, are people like me. There is literally nothing that exists in this world that I don't think that I can't probably make one better myself. If your real lucky, there are people out there that will actually pay you for that insanity so fortunately.....its hasn't hurt me too bad so far.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by zaqwert6

if you ever feel the need to get rid of any of those machines i would gladly take them off your hands

Quick Reply: Tools, tools, & tools... What where?