General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tools, tools, & tools... What where?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tools, tools, & tools... What where?

Hey guys, so after working on a friends SV650 last night, i've had enough. My fathers garage is beyond my understanding. I spent more time searching for a tool then actually working on a bike.

I was doing VERY simple things. Changed the oil, adjusted brake lever, changed tail light bulb, brake fluid flush, and changed the starter relay.

We left more frustrated than anything. I wasn't able to find a screwdriver!

Well enough is enough, i'm a big boy, and it's time i have my own big boy tools. So what i want to know, hear, find out, is what to buy? I walked around Sears over the weekend and found plenty of "sets" that have 180 pieces, 354 peices, etc etc. None of that really matters to me. Mainly all i do is work on motorcycles, cars, and electrical things (computers included i'm a computer engineer).

If you were to populate this guy:Craftsman 3-Drawer Metal Portable Chest-Red/Black - Tools - Tool Storage - Portable Toolboxes

Picture:

What would you throw in? I'm really curious. I'm ready to spend some money to get me a set i can take to track days, and keep clean and organized.

THANKS!

Old 09-04-2012, 10:35 AM

I'll start the convo off, wrenches? Yes please. Good adjustable ones too.

Affordable good wrenches, have a few good reviews.

Craftsman Evolv 3 pc. Adjustable Wrench Set - Tool Catalog - General Purpose Hand Tools - Adjustable Wrenches

Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 AM

well to me the bare bones would be a set of sockets from 10mm up to 22mm. what ever drive your comfortable with, along with a few extensions.

a quality set of screw drivers both flat and Philips headed.

a set if wrenches from 6mm to 20mm.

a set of allen keys "metric and american", and a set of torx keys "i prefer the socket style"

adjustable wrenches are probably a good idea but i rarely use them, i believe in using the right tool for a job not a one size fits all.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Buy as many tools as you can afford, build from there. You can't have too many tools. The quantity and type you end up with will depend on what you're working on and how deep you go. Someday you will need a bigger box.... I have that same box, but it holds misc. stuff at the house now since I moved up to a much larger roll away.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Seriously, Harbor Freight's Pittsburg is as good as it gets FWIW... Understand, unless you are Demon (certified mechanic), whom depend on tools on a daily basis. We all know Snap-on tool is the bomb!

Buy your tools with the job! This way you won't be over spending. I just did my car's front brakes, so I just bought a Pittsburg 24" inch beaker bar for $7 (home depot's steel pipe cost $9) a large C clamp to push the caliper piston for $4...

Unless you are a Pro & tools are your money making element, don't over spend on name brand.

Last edited by estate4life; 09-04-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: correct grammer..
Old 09-04-2012, 11:44 AM

Join the Craftsman Club. I refuse to pay full price for any tool, even quality ones. Luckily for me, keeping a good eye out has saved me thousands.

The Craftsman Club has sales every month (on top of the original sales) and usually has a few pieces for 50% off. Tool boxes, wrench sets, screw drivers, pry bars, torque wrenches, impact sockets, everything. I have amassed quite the collection and have probably averaged a savings of 40% off list price. These are high quality tools too! My best buy was on a Black Friday, I bought a huge Craftsman toolbox set, ball bearing, grip latch system, that was originally $1400, for $630.. it was a steal! Keep your eyes peeled.

As far as Harbor Freight, be selective. Some of their stuff is sketchy, but some of it doesnt matter, like a 1/2 drive breaker bar, magnetic screw trays, etc.

Im with you, cleanliness and being organized are my biggest pet peeves. My dad has lots of tools, but only he knows where they are, lol. I also think getting those magnetic strips with the names of what tools are inside what drawer are a must have too. Makes life so much easier!

Old 09-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

When it comes to tools, buy quality with a warranty. Don't cheap out, they will be with you and your kids forever. Good tools do make a difference. Poor quality tools tend to round bolt heads and break. Don't let a cheap tool turn your project into a nightmare!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For wrenches, the ratcheting type are expensive but can't be beat. Often enough it's tough to just get the wrench in the right place; being able to just wiggle it back and forth instead of trying to turn and replace it is gold.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Seriously, Harbor Freight's Pittsburg is as good as it gets FWIW... Understand, unless you are Demon (certified mechanic), whom depend on tools on a daily basis. We all know Snap-on tool is the bomb!

Buy your tools with the job! This way you won't be over spending. I just did my car's front brakes, so I just bought a Pittsburg 24" inch beaker bar for $7 (home depot's steel pipe cost $9) a large C clamp to push the caliper piston for $4...

Unless you are a Pro & tools are your money making element, don't over spend on name brand.
I see what you're trying to say about the cost, but i've actually had a little bit of different experience with Harbor Freight and will NEVER go back to using their stuff. In all honesty i feel they are cheap "quick fix" type of tools. If i need something cheap and just to "get the job done" i'll grab something off of their shelves, otherwise i'll be grabbing quality tools. I think investing a good set of tools regardless of what job is a smart move just because a bad tool can make any job MUCH more expensive. I've seen cheap harbor freight cost others a lot of money because their tools were up to quality and ruined bolts.

I'll probably be mixing between craftsman and other higher quality brands. C-clamp is a good suggestion, adding it to my shopping list. thanks!

Old 09-04-2012, 03:45 PM

For wrenches, the ratcheting type are expensive
Craftsman (regular, not cheap Evolv) regularly has these sets on sale (Metric, SAE) for half off ($80 down to $44.99)... So for a few bucks more than the regular ones, you can have that sweet ratcheting action! lol... Now I want to go spend more money, crap.

Quick Reply: Tools, tools, & tools... What where?