General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Title Problem : Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Title

I only read a few replies for this thread, but sad to say its a wrap! However, there is another option. You can look on Ebay for a frame that has a good title. I said Ebay because frames are exspensive. Once you get a different frame you can apply for a lost title, if the new frame doesnt come with one. I dont know if u wanted to invest more cash in this project but this way it wouldnt be a total lost.

Say, if u sell whats ur asking $$$ post some pics.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gxsretr
I only read a few replies for this thread, but sad to say its a wrap! However, there is another option. You can look on Ebay for a frame that has a good title. I said Ebay because frames are exspensive. Once you get a different frame you can apply for a lost title, if the new frame doesnt come with one. I dont know if u wanted to invest more cash in this project but this way it wouldnt be a total lost.

Say, if u sell whats ur asking $$$ post some pics.
That's illegal. It will come back to this guy when Honda (lienholder) comes looking for their money or the bike on which the lien is held and the PO sends them OP's way. Upon discovering that OP chopped up the bike and tried to hide it on a different frame OP is looking at a lot of legal trouble.

Bottom line, OP, is that a lien on the bike will have been on the title and that is something that should have been determined at the time of sale. That's a tough lesson to learn..

Hopefully you can convince the PO to settle the lien or at least get your money back through small claims... sounds like a pretty crappy situation though.. good luck!

Old 09-04-2009, 03:59 PM

King_Milo,
I am an auto/Motorcycle dealer by trade. The majority of the laws concerning vehicles are nation wide, especially laws concerning stolen vehicles. Which is the case when Honda Motor Credit has exhausted their means of recuperating their money. Legally that bike is property of Honda Motor Credit until the lien is satisfied.
Sorry buddy, never deal with a third party, go to the source.
Oh, and do not take the advice of parting in out, you just might aggravate the problem. I'm not sure of Mississippi, but here in California motorcyle titles have both VIN and Engine numbers. If you separate these numbers, it becomes a red flag when DMV checked to re-issue a title. SO, go back to the source or you are screwed.

Old 09-04-2009, 05:08 PM

could just get a new frame, but it is illegal as hell

Old 09-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I had a little discussion with the guy today and he says he's going to get a loan for the payoff on the bike to free up the title. We'll see how that holds up. I'll believe it when I see it.
Another option discussed with him was to have him re pay me the 1k for the bike but I'm taking everything I put on it, so essentially the only thing he will be getting back is a naked bike w/ no battery. lol Anyone need custom painted plastics and a brand new battery??

Last edited by King_Milo; 09-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:46 PM

good luck King let us know how it goes bro,but worse case scenario small claims court that bill of sale will get you your money back

Old 09-05-2009, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by drax13
good luck King let us know how it goes bro,but worse case scenario small claims court that bill of sale will get you your money back
but only if the guy cares about the judgment and has anything to grab. And taking the next step of executing on the judgment requires you to jump through more procedural hoop.

I recently heard that almost 90% of judgments aren't worth anything. For example, bankruptcy will wipe them out most all of the time.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JHouse
but only if the guy cares about the judgment and has anything to grab. And taking the next step of executing on the judgment requires you to jump through more procedural hoop.

I recently heard that almost 90% of judgments aren't worth anything. For example, bankruptcy will wipe them out most all of the time.
Then there's always the People's Court

No seriously. To my understanding, the show pays the judgements on those court shows

Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 AM

I just had the same problem with a gsxr I bought from a guy who was a buddy of a friend of mine.I was trying to get it switched into my name, but stupidly i was riding on his tags.i got pulled over with a passenger because the officer couldn't see my tags.(bike had been lowered and with two people on it the rear tire had pushed the plate up so it wasn't visible)needless to say I spent four hours with the cops while they checked everything outand in the end the bike got towed because it had a lein on it that was outstanding ,I couldn't get it out of impound,so all the work I had put into the bike was gone, the tow yard will get the title on the bike and sell it at auction(legal geand theft auto) and the lein holder will write it off as a loss and try to attach the original owners pay check. and bottom line I am out the bike . It really sucks.not only for me but my ol' lady as well because the CBR i was building for her is now the bike i am riding.( it has a legal title ha ha) good thing she loves me! so theres my horror story I hope yours turnes out better. best of luck. MRBILL!

Old 09-11-2009, 02:33 AM

up up