Need advice on 1000rr w/ no title

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on 1000rr w/ no title

So here is the scoop. Im lookng to purchase a RR and find an ad on craigslist. Its a 05rr with 4k on it and a yosh pipe for only $3900. I give the guy a call to ask why the bike is so cheap. He tells me the title is in Iowa where his son lives and will eventually get the title over to me. His son cant afford payments on it which is why he (father) is being forced to sell it. In the mean time he can provide me with a bill of sale to show that the bike is rightfully mine. So bottom line I can get a 05RR with low miles and run the risk of never getting a title for it or buy a frame with a clear title and put it on so i can register the bike in my name. Im planning on having Geico run the vin just to make sure its not stolen or wrecked. What would you do in this situation? Purchase it and hope for the best or just find a RR that doesnt have a sketchy story behind it? Thanks in advance for any input.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:30 PM

SCAM-SCAM-SCAM-SCAM-SCAM Did I mention this might be a scam? If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. This one definitely sets off the scam radar.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont think i would mess with it....no title means no tags or insurance...call the guy up and offer him a grand for it since your just buyin a junkyard piece ,when it comes to not havin a title...................

Old 03-05-2009, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
SCAM-SCAM-SCAM-SCAM-SCAM Did I mention this might be a scam? If the deal sounds too good to be true it probably is. This one definitely sets off the scam radar.
so.........youre saying its a scam and I shouldnt get it? LOL. Ya thats what exactly what I told the guy "sounds too good to be true" Thanks for the input.

Old 03-06-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by gabriel_avila
So here is the scoop. Im lookng to purchase a RR and find an ad on craigslist. Its a 05rr with 4k on it and a yosh pipe for only $3900. I give the guy a call to ask why the bike is so cheap. He tells me the title is in Iowa where his son lives and will eventually get the title over to me. His son cant afford payments on it which is why he (father) is being forced to sell it. In the mean time he can provide me with a bill of sale to show that the bike is rightfully mine. So bottom line I can get a 05RR with low miles and run the risk of never getting a title for it or buy a frame with a clear title and put it on so i can register the bike in my name. Im planning on having Geico run the vin just to make sure its not stolen or wrecked. What would you do in this situation? Purchase it and hope for the best or just find a RR that doesnt have a sketchy story behind it? Thanks in advance for any input.

It could be legit.. $3,900 for an 05 isn't that low.. My buddy just bought a mint 05 with extras for $4,500. It sounds like he can't get the title until he pays off the loan which is probably true. He's probably just trying to get what he owes.. To find out if it's legit, the best thing to do would be to ask him to give you the information on where the title is held and speak to the bank yourself. You could have a cashiers check made out directly to the bank holding the title and with proof of purchase and direction from the seller, they could release the title directly to you. Checking the vin is also a good idea just to be safe. I wouldn't disgard it as a scam until you check into it more.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Smokey74
It could be legit.. $3,900 for an 05 isn't that low.. My buddy just bought a mint 05 with extras for $4,500. It sounds like he can't get the title until he pays off the loan which is probably true. He's probably just trying to get what he owes.. To find out if it's legit, the best thing to do would be to ask him to give you the information on where the title is held and speak to the bank yourself. You could have a cashiers check made out directly to the bank holding the title and with proof of purchase and direction from the seller, they could release the title directly to you. Checking the vin is also a good idea just to be safe. I wouldn't disgard it as a scam until you check into it more.
Thats exactly what I was thinking. He just wants the bike paid off, but who knows though. Im going to check out the bike today so I hope its lgeit. Would be really gnarly to pick up an 05RR!! Ive been wanting one for some time now.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:20 PM

If he just wanted the bike paid off, he would be asking pay-off, then the title would be clear for you to have. there is absolutely no reason in the world he shouldnt be able to give you the title, other than a scam.

I would never drop that kind of money on something with only a bill of sale. Say this guy doesnt pay off the bike. Your bill of sale doesnt mean anything to the bank that still owns the bike. And tearing it apart to put into another frame would cost you just as much, if not more than buying a decent bike that is actually clear.

just tell the guy, when he eventually gets the title to you, you'll eventually get the money to him. If he truely wants the bike gone and truely owns it, it wont take more than a week to get the title to you. The guy is a scam. If hes not a scam, he's an idiot and you dont want to deal with him anyway.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:57 AM

Heres the ad if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the input guys may its just me and im buying out of impulse, but I really need to do what is logical.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/1059530988.html

Old 03-07-2009, 01:48 PM

Tired of waiting for the title? Doesn't that scream "I got taken" to you? So he got scammed and wishes to pass it on... Run Forest!

Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 PM

well since it is my first post here lol i will start by giving some advice.don't mess with it the chances are you will not see the title or you will be waiting awhile for it.