General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

things i have noticed.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 04:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: things i have noticed.

ORIGINAL: stanghater

Whippet: thanks for the great info. I pretty much dont mind wrenching on the bike, I just dont want to screw anything up. I want to do an oil change first, and inspect the plugs while im there. Do I have to take all the fairings off or just one side?
First, go to Stephygee's site and down load the shop manual for your bike if you haven't already! You'll need a fast/wideband source 'cuz it'll take a month of Sundays if you're using dial-up.

Technically you could change the filter whilst the fairing is on, but you'll hate yourself for trying. You'll have to remove it to get to the plugs, anyway. You only need to remove the lowers, but I'd leave the lowers attached to the mid-section and remove mid/lowers as one unit (put a rug/towel/other soft-non-scratching material under the bike) from the uppers; you'll have a lot more room and no worries about buggering your fairing whilst your working. Better safe than sorry, eh? Plus, you can give the ol' girl a better looking over if she's undressed.

The plugs are NOT fun to get to, but it's really not hard. Use a flex on your socket if you've one in your toolbox.

I agree w/Chaos, yer dealer is a ****... look for another if one isn't a million miles away. I would not let that dealer put air in the tires - serious. Perhaps a good independent shop is near by? Whislt setting the 'sag' it will be tonnes easier if you enlist a couple of guys to assist (one to hold the front/back, and one to take measurements - this should be done with all your riding gear on)... if they ride too get all the bikes together in one place and take turns setting each other's bike up. Then drink beer; eat pizza afterwards. BTW, if you are unable to set the proper sag with the OEM suspension you'll need: 1) new spring(s)(F/R); 2) change oil weight (and/or air gap); 3) new shock. Sorry, no other way around it.

Cheers