General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TAILLIGHT/TURN SIGNAL ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAILLIGHT/TURN SIGNAL ISSUE

I bought the new integrated taillight and hot bodies front signals for my 03 RR. I have both the taillight and front signals wired correctly but for some reason the tail stays yellow. When the signals are applied they flash correctly, but they are constantly on. Before I had the integrated taillight my stock rear signals were constantly on, but I had a bulb out on one of my front signals (so I thought the new front signals would solve the problem). Now with everything installed and rewired a bunch of times the rear taillight is constantly yellow. When the brake is applied the brake light works successfully. Someone told me that I might need the flasher relay? If I need the relay where could I get it (part number) and is it hard to replace? Does anyone have the wiring diagram for my bike? I didn't know if anyone has ran into this problem before and could help me out?

Thanks in advance

Old 03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
Default RE: TAILLIGHT/TURN SIGNAL ISSUE

I'm pretty sure that at the top of this thread you can find a link to the wiring in a service manual for your bike. I would check that out.

Next, the flasher issue is very odd indeed. It's normally supposed to be red all the time? Is this an all-in-one light? (IE turn signals, running lights, and brake light all in one light) Pics would help here.

Does the integrated tail light have to be hard-wired of does it come with factory plugs?

Old 03-31-2008, 05:00 PM

Yes this is an all in one light. Normally the running light should be red but since the signals are staying on all the time it is a constant yellow.

The integrated taillaight does have a factory plug but which I tried. Then I got rid of the plug and just hard-wired it (thinking there could have been a problem with the plug) and it still does the same thing. I also forgot to mention that I have checked all of the fuses and they are all still good.
Not sure where the wiring diagram is that you were talking about.

Thanks

Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator

make sure that you didn't wire up your running light wires AND turn signal wires. Most aftermarket signals (including the integrated taillight) are not set up to handle both currents. In your case, try only wiring up your signal leads, and i think that will fix your issue. This will allow the red running light to stay on, and the yellow to only flash when the signals are activated.

On another note, are your turn signal indicators on your dash now ON all of the time? Usually when someone wires the signals like this the little arrows will stay lit constantly, and then flash when the turn signals are activated. This is another cause of wiring in the running AND signal wires.

Let me know what you figure out.

-Adam