General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synchronizing carbs, am i doing this right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synchronizing carbs, am i doing this right?

Hey guys my bike idles like ****, dont pass emissions, hesitates real bad, especially since i installed full yoshimura exhaust. I'm about to try to rejet bike myself, and why not? I got a fire estinquisher if worse comes to worse. Anyway, i wanted to see if i can synchronise the carbs now, i will probably have to do it after rejetting anyway and i figured its the first step to re-jetting the bike.

So is this the ghist of it?

I have a Honda CBR f4 (2000).

Step 1 buy a synchronizing tool:

Step 2 Connect synchronizing tool to carb air hoses

Step 3 Adjust the synchronization adjusting screw to get all 4 carbs to the same level

There are 4 carbs, each has a synchronization screw, you adjust all of them to get all 4 carbs same level?

Now there are 4 carbs, standing behind the bike (looking toward handle bars) the number 4 carb is on the right hand side. The number 4 carb is the Base Carb. Dont know why that matters but thats what the manual says.

So is that the basic of it? If i can do that then i move on to rejetting.

If i understood rejetting, you have to physically remove old jet needle, replace with different needle then adjust the Pilot Screw

How do you know when its adjusted? Does that jet kit tell you how many "clicks" the pilot screw needs to turn?

Thanx for any help, i'm not looking for step by step, more or less the general idea of how this works. Thanx again.

Old 04-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Synchronizing carbs, am i doing this right?

sorry, i dont have any advice, but that sure was alot of info for me, thanks. nice writeup going.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:51 PM

First, there is an error in your sync instructions. Where it says "Rev the engine several times", don't do it. If you use a mercury stick, the carbs can suck your mercury when you rev the engine. Also, there may only be three sync adjusting screws, because one carb is the base carb and the three others are set to it.

On my 1000F, the second carb is the base carb, so it has no adjusting screw. And if you press down too hard on your phillips-head adjusting screws, it will press the throttle. Plus, the book shows it as real easy to get to the adjusting screws. Ha! The gas tank is propped up on the rod, you have to squeeze your hand and long screwdriver in between a bunch of hoses, the engine is running very hot, and the mercury columns are rising up and down. Otherwise, it's a piece of cake.

Old 04-22-2006, 02:23 AM

jet the bike first then sync, definately don't rev the bike it will suck in the mercury