CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Synchronizing the carbs question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Synchronizing the carbs question

Okay everyone, sorry for asking yet another dumb question but ive failed searching for the answer for the past week all over the internet not just the forum.

Anyway, after cleaning teh carbs, the bike idles a lot better and runs a lot better too. The only problem is at WOT under like 5.2k she's a bit hesitant and sounds like its misfiring but once she gets above 5k then she purrs and makes the sound we all love to hear. I put a bit of sea foam in a full tank, about 1/3 of the can, and i ran the **** out of the bike seeing how the owner said he never really winterized it and it just sat... probably laying down if youve seen the fairings.

I was wondering if my issue with wot was a carb synchronizing issue or something else? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, JC

Old 05-19-2011, 01:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First: Did you clean out the pilot jets properly? I mean taking them all the way out, hitting it with carb cleaner and compressed air, and possibly hitting it with some fine wire to get everything out of the holes.

Second: What is your bike running for an air filter, and exhaust, and does it have a jet kit installed? if it's an aftermarket exhaust and/or air filter, with no jet kit, that 5k bog will be pretty notable.

Also, did you adjust all of the A/F screws so as they are synched?

Carb synchronization is never a bad idea on these bikes by the way. It smoothens them RIGHT out!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:58 AM

1st, yessir, i actually took all the jets out, put them ina itty bitty shot glass full of carb cleaner and lett them soak for about 30 minutes then blew them out after words.

2nd its running a UNI wet filter and exhaust is a two brothers slip on, i do not think theres a jet kit in this bike but i could be wrong.

3rd, i adjusted all the a/f screws back to there factory settings, 2 1/8 turns out.

carb synching does sound like a great idea, however, its like 150 bucks so i want to make sure its the right thing first

Old 05-19-2011, 04:39 PM

Okay, did you clean the filter as well?

Did you return the air fuel screws to their setting by going in (less fuel) or out (more fuel).

I'm imagining this as you having let more air through the filter, and less gas through the a/f mixture, resulting in you leaning out the bottom end significantly.

Given that you aren't running factory equipment, I'm not sure why you expected factory A/F mixtures to work for you :P

Old 05-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered Users

I agree with Jesse. You are likely running a bit lean in the bottom end. Try bringing the fuel screw out to about 3 turns and see how it runs. I have a slip on with no jet kit and brought the fuel screww out to 3 turns, it really made the bottom end much crispier with zero hesitation.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM

haha yea, you guys are probably right. My mechanical experience came from cars and well throwing and exhaust and a intake on a car didn't make much of a difference so i figured on bikes it was the same thing. Tonight, i'm going to get a complete set of new plugs, loosen the a/f screws and i'm pretty sure there's an air leak so by some high temp silicone and put it around the base of the carbs where one of them looks a little cracked. Also my air box has no gasket in it and only like 3 screws?

Lastly if i post a picture of this random vacuum hose with a bolt in it can someone tell me where its supposed to go?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this vaccum hose with the bolt in it a common thing on F2's because this is the second post ive seen today with a vaccum tube blocked by a ghetto bolt

Old 05-23-2011, 08:17 PM

5.2k RPM has nothing to do with a carb sync, pilot jets or air/fuel screw. Actually, anything past just off idle has nothing to do with them.

If you are having running problems from midrange to top range, you have main jet/needle issues. Sounds like it's your low/mid range. Idle screws and the pilot circuit won't help there. I'd be willing to be that if you shimmed your needles your problem would go away.

What do your plugs look like after a good hard 10 minute ride?

Last edited by DrAwkwArD; 05-23-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by JankCibberf2
i'm pretty sure there's an air leak so by some high temp silicone and put it around the base of the carbs where one of them looks a little cracked.
With the bike running, spray some carb cleaner around each boot individually. If your RPMs drop or rise after as you're spraying, you have an air leak. If this leake is after the carbs, it could be a source for a lean condition.

Also my air box has no gasket in it and only like 3 screws?
Get some new screws from ACE hardware that will fit and get the airbox tight. A loos fitting airbox will not help with RAM air as the pressure won't be kept proper.

Lastly if i post a picture of this random vacuum hose with a bolt in it can someone tell me where its supposed to go?
The hose isn't random...where does the other end lead? I'd be willing it was a mod done by a previous owner...PAIR valve mod or the float bowl vent mod....