General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync-d my throttle bodies today... not too bad!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sync-d my throttle bodies today... not too bad!

They were off a little bit, but really not too bad! Last time they were syncronized was at 41,000 miles... now at 140,000, so it's been 99,000 since the last time they were done (a little overdue... oops!)

This is how much they were off
Name:  DSCN0070.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  56.4 KB

Then after some rough adjustments... got them all pretty close (this gauge has most definitely seen better days)
Name:  DSCN0073.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  63.3 KB

Then used this electronic balancer to fine tune them. It's super super sensitivewhen you put it on max, as I did, so you can get them all perfectly even. You can only do one cylinder at a time with this one since there's only 2 hoses, and I had do each of the 3 cylinders 4 or 5 times to get them all exactly equal. But after that I could put the hose on any one of them and it would stay right at zero (the needle indicates the amount of deviation from zero from each vacuum hose. If it stays right at zero, it means they're exactly equal). It didn't go any further than you see here, and it was set on max (which is extremely sensitive to any fluctuations)
Name:  DSCN0078.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  44.5 KB

I'm happy with it.... does indeed feel a bit smoother. I remember back when it was brand new I couldn't even feel it running at idle, then over the years I could start to feel the slightest vibration at idle, and the clip ons seemed to vibrate a little more. Nothing major or anything, just a tiny bit. This seems to have smoothed it back out, as it's now smooth as glass at idle, and may have even helped with the clip on vibration

Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sync'd my throttle bodies today... not too bad!

now come do my carbs :lol:

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sync-d my throttle bodies today... not too bad!

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

now come do my carbs :lol:
I've still got another F4i in the garage to do this to! [&:] Those vacuum lines were a PITA to access!