General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Damper (chinese-Ebay) Brand

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at getting a damper for my 954 next season as I plan to do some track days. You're right, under hard throttle when the front end gets light, the headshake can get kinda bad.

Old 09-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Here it is installed , I'm very pleased with it and it works very well! Just had to modify it a Bit. The bracket didn't line up as I mentioned earlier so I dremeled a notch about 3/4. An inch counter clock wise to line it up. I also used a rubber washer under the steering stem mount where it connects to damper. or the point where it connects from bracket due to allot of free play. The damper bounced and moved around with normal riding.

Steering Damper (chinese-Ebay) Brand-image.jpg

Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM
Default Install and review

ok i have installed the damper and have put probably 500 miles on the bike with the damper on. I must admit I'm very pleased with it ! I just have to keep an eye on to see if it lasts and doesn't start to leak ! With that being said i did have to modify it a little bit.

I had two issues to get the damper to work properly. After mounting it up it did not have the correct throw or turn radius. the mounting bracket was to short. So i had to modify the notch on the triple tree. I busted out my trusty dremal tool and notched another groove about 3/4 an inch counter clock wise and viola everything lined up perfect.

Next was the play of the mounting swivel that holds the actual damper....... way too much movement ! It just bounced around like crazy .
My solution was to go to the local hardware store and buy two nylon washers. After installed i could tighten or loosen the play just by adjusting the allen head bolt just remember to lock-tight it!!!

Old 10-13-2013, 07:17 PM
Old 10-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Old 10-14-2013, 01:49 AM

So it actually works and dampens like it should? Have you tested to see if the slight headshake at wot is lessened? How about on those bad roads?

You haven't really given a review on the performance part.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Default Review of damper

My thoughts on the performance of the steering damper I purchased on eBay from China.
I am very pleased with it .its a hyper pro copy so it works just like one. It eliminates all of the wobble and makes the front end feel much more stable ! It has a 26 click adjustment from light to heavy resistance. Works well on rough and bumpy surfaces to reduce or eliminate that shaky steering when I brake and corner. Also completely stopped that loose and shaky feeling under full throttle.

Here's my rating of the steering damper
From a 1 to 10 scale (10 being the best)

PERFORMANCE. 8

QUALITY. 7.5

FITMENT. 5 (Minor modification required)

DURABILITY. ?? (Will keep u posted)

VALUE. 10

I would recommend this damper it has worked very well for me and has eliminated the issues I was having with the light front end steering. Not that my opinion counts but I think its a great bang for your buck $ I paid a total of $120 for the set up and again am very pleased with performance and the way it looks! Keep in mind I've only had it installed for just under 2 months so I have no idea how durable it is or how long it will last.

Hope this helps any one interested or curious about the Chinese knock offs

Last edited by rhino8648; 10-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Nice to see an eBay product that wasn't a let down. I've spent so much money on Chinese crap that unless it's purely cosmetic and unnecessary I don't even bother anymore. Definitely keep us updated in the durability though. Did it have any warranty at all?

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Default Warrentee

I was very diligent before I ordered this damper.
I probably emailed 20 different eBay sellers asking about a warrantee.
I received only two responses from venders and both offered a 90 day warrantee. I think most of the risk is in shipping from china and the packaging was very secure. I have had it on for 3 months or so and thus far no leaks or problems.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Thumbs up Update on ebay damper

OK I've put on roughly 1800 miles on damper now and still holding up great!
Ill give it two enthusiastic thumbs up !!
I'm pleased with the results for money spent. I would say do your homework before you buy ebay and Chinese aftermarket items and you should be pleased with it

I did just install a two bros canister exhaust last night sounds awesome !
looks better !!

Quick Reply: Steering Damper (chinese-Ebay) Brand