General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stator/Rectifier

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stator/Rectifier

Originally Posted by Ar15 guy
I can't figure out what is wrong with my bike. If anything maybe my RR is overcharging or just plain screwed.

I found a website that showed me how to check everything. Everything shows up fine but it was over 15 sometimes whenever I checked it at 5k volts.

I have been riding it for 4 days this week...just off and on. Small trips. Buddy comes by and wants to ride. I tell him I don't trust my bike yet because its been killing batteries left and right. He talks me into it. Sure enough it quit on me again.

But anyways should I try changing the RR? I have installed 2 brand new batteries. Here is what happens. It will run fine....and if i only go short distances it seems to be fine. But when I ride for any sort of long distance it will drain the battery big time. Push starting it will yield very little if any difference.

Like I said I checked everything and it seems to be fine. I did notice something wierd...either my voltmeter is screwed or my RR is overcharging because after running for a short ways yesterday it said I had 14 volts with the bike off...then 12.3 at idle and 13.5-16v revving. It varied. I think my RR may be toast.
Yes, I know about the R/R problem solved forum... but I need to know... this quote is pretty much almost the EXACT same problem I'm having, the bike runs fine if I pop the clutch, the battery will try to turn the bike over if I leave it alone for a while and press the starter later on, but other than that it won't start it, the battery is pretty much completely dead, until I pop the clutch the lights don't even run at full power, so is it the R/R or the stator?

Old 05-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Have the battery tested

2. If the battery is good, it's time to get a multimeter and start doing some testing.

Here's a great flow chart for testing to determine the culprit.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
1. Have the battery tested

2. If the battery is good, it's time to get a multimeter and start doing some testing.

Here's a great flow chart for testing to determine the culprit.

Thanks for the reply Chuck, to answer your question, she's killed two batteries since I bought her, (before I wrecked her xD I spent all morning working on her lol) but yeah, she killed two batteries since I bought her, first one took a while, but it was after I dropped the bike learning to ride (on the right side mind you) the bike is naked, it's in my avatar, and it fell on the side the R/R hangs off of... no wires are damaged that I can tell, so I might've damaged the unit... but! he culprit could still be the stator I think, that's why I posted this.

So in other words, the battery she killed I bought the day before, and she killed it within a 20 mile ride at a stop light... (embarrassing to have to pop the clutch from a light. lol)

But the battery before that, I got all the way from Tempe, to my home in Phoenix, (which is roughly 30-50 miles-ish) and she ran fine for... about two weeks, when she mysteriously died when I let my buddy ride her one night... since then I wondered what it was, and it's been killing me, because I need to fix this while I'm out there working on her, I've got a major ride in a month and I've been eating up and digesting almost every piece of info on this forum I possibly can trying to fix her.

Thanks for ANY HELP GIVEN

Last edited by Goloth; 05-17-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Not enough info...
Old 05-21-2010, 01:51 PM

You can unplug the stator (three yellow wires in a white plastic connector located just in front of the battery) and check to see if it's working. Switch your multimeter to Ohms and check the resistance between the three wires. 0.8 to 1.1 ohms is normal. Then check to see if the stator is shorted to ground, by checking between one of the stator wires (doesn't matter which one)and ground. If it's not shorted, switch your meter to A/C volts and start the engine. Check the voltage between the three wires. The stator should be producing three phase A/C on the three wires, meaning that the voltage between any two wires should be about 28 volts A/C. If stator appears to be working, keep the engine running for a couple of minutes and see if it keeps working. Sometimes they work cold but not hot. Chances are that if it's burnt the output will drop very low in about 30 seconds, if it works at all. I am going through the same thing with my bike right now.