General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

constantly feels like it's running out of gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default constantly feels like it's running out of gas

hey guys i went for a ride to my girlfriends house last night, and everything was fine till i got on the highway and gave her some real good accelleration i got up to about 80 and just held it there for the next 1/8th of a mile.

all of a sudden she started feeling like shje was running out of gas.... and she stalled... well i got her fired up and was barely able to keep her running at any speed not just high or low rpms (it felt like it was running out of gas but just) for the next 6 miles of highway till there was an exit. I got off at the exit and filled her up at a gas station, and when i left the gas station she was still acting all wierd like it wasnt getting enough gas

I feel like its a fuel pump problem perhaps... because i was able to to make it the 6 miles but it did stalled twice on the way there and i had give it choke in order to get it to start up again.
its a 97 f3

EDIT MORE INFO
it rode seemingly fine last weekend on the highway and off... i did notice sometimes that there was a lack of power when i gave it alot of throttle, but i also Just did a sprocket change (-1 in front) so i thought maybe that was the reason....

This weekend (may 1) i rode my bike home from my girlfriends house and everything was fine until i got on the highway.. it. seems to strugle when i make any change in the throttle i was able to ride the bike home but it did stall once when i was coming to a stop at a red light... i really am confused as to what this problem could be

EDIT MAY 3
just thought i might mention that i remember the day i went for a ride to my gf house i noticed that i forgot to shut my fuel valve off before stowing my bike for a couple days... maybe some gunk got in the jets from me leaving the valve on and thats why the bike has been able to run better the more that i ride it because the gunk is slowly getting chipped away as i ride more.

so like johnny said i think there is a carb cleaning in order i get out of school on thursday so that will be the first thing i do when i get home

Last edited by Michaud85; 05-03-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:42 PM

I worked on a friend's F3 that was doing that. I ran a hose straight from the petcock to the carbs. It ran fine so he replaced his fuel pump. I was surprised it ran because the hose looked like it was running uphill but it did. That's a very easy way to check if it's the pump.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:34 PM

hey cbr racer ill check that out.

i really dont know what it could be because sometimes it rides fine and sometimes it doesnt... i was a quart short on oil, so i put some in. i changed the oil last month so i was kinda surpised that i didnt have alot of oil in there

Old 05-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Seriously sounds like a carb issue.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:55 PM

should i try cleaning my carbs because maybe theres some gunk in there or something? i cant see why there would be because the PO said he rebuilt the carbs last summer and he also said he only used high octance fuel which is what i use..

it just sadens me because the bike was riding flawlessly for about a month and now im having this issue its not a great start to the summer

Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 PM

I'm just trying to think. He rebuilt them, but did he do them properly? Have any conditions changed that could influence the carbs since they were rebuilt?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:36 PM

the only thing that i did was i changed my front sprocket to from 15 to 14 teeth and also had to change my thermo unit, so i had taken may airbox off and the opening to the carbs was jsut exposed for about an hour.... maybe ill swap the sprocket again and see if that fixes the problem

Old 05-02-2010, 08:46 PM

Sprockets have nothing to do with it

Old 05-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Dropping a tooth in the front would make it feel like it has MORE power.

Test your fuel pump and relay first, then clean your carbs. Those are by far the two biggest culprits.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:29 PM

i had taken may airbox off and the opening to the carbs was jsut exposed for about an hour
double check you hooked up all the hoses and no fuel lines are pinched.... eliminate the easy stuff

Quick Reply: constantly feels like it's running out of gas