General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling quite a bit

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling quite a bit

Just got back from a nice 1hr morning ride, but I had a few problems along the way.

1) As usual, my bike takes a HELLA long time to get started. That's pretty much standard for me. My bike is a 99 CBR600, so it has carbs. Five minutes after I get on the bike, I get it started..

2) Ride is going fine, I make a lap around the neighborhood, and get out on the highway. About 5-10 minutes into the ride, i'm leaving a light at an intersection, and the engine starts chugging really bad. I was giving it more than enough gas, and it just flat stalls out in the middle of an intersection. I push it to the other side of the intersection and get to the side of the road. I'm like, oh **** what do I do. I try to start the bike without the choke, but no luck. It starts then dies quickly. I put the choke on about half way and get it started, so im thinking it's just a cold engine. (I heard you're never supposed to drive with the choke on...but it was the only way to get it going) I start going again, turn the choke back off after about 10 seconds of riding slow.. and everything is fine for a few minutes.

3) But all throughout the ride, my engine is dying or stalling at like every other light. When i'm riding it's fine, no chugging or lugging or whatever. But I get to a light, and it's either a) fine. b) dies in first when I'm waiting. c) stalls out 3 times as I try to leave the light. (user error on that one, maybe lol)
oh and fyi - my tank is half full so it's not the gas. using premium.

So my questions to cbrforum are -
what am I doing wrong?
what's wrong with my bike?
can you ride with the choke on in emergencies?

oh and ps i hate my turnsignals, i cant get used to turning them back off. too used to the car ones that turn off automatically lol. i rode for like 2 miles with my right turn signal on today.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Hi Ren19

Emmmmmm, sounds like you can have one of a few possible problems.

you could have a fuel pump problem.
as you have carbs have they been balanced???
carbs could do with a clean.
have you changed your fuel filter???

hope this helps

Jimbo

Old 10-23-2010, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by JIMBO95F3
Hi Ren19

Emmmmmm, sounds like you can have one of a few possible problems.

you could have a fuel pump problem.
as you have carbs have they been balanced???
carbs could do with a clean.
have you changed your fuel filter???

hope this helps

Jimbo
thanks for the reply.

sorry, i'm new to bikes. so, what exactly do you mean, a fuel pump problem?
the guy before me said he re-syncd the carbs, if that's what you mean.
fuel filter... where's that?

(I don't have the original manuel.)

Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 PM

I was going to suggest that it sounds like the pilot jets are either out of adjustment, or dirty. But after hearing the previous owner synced the carbs, I would double check to make sure they are done correctly. Carbs rarely need to be synced, and any time a bike runs erratically, people sync them, and usually incorrectly. the other issue is, if something else is wrong, syncing the carbs will actually throw them off. the bike has to be running correct in order to sync them. Out of sync carbs will run irratic at idle but usually fine at upper rpms. Also, out of sync carbs return to idle very slowly. Instead of the idle returing as soon as you let of the throttle, the rpms will stay up around 3 grand or so for a few seconds before slowly coming back down.

But, a quick check would be the pilot jets. What may be happening is there isnt enough fuel entering the combustion chamber at idle. The pilot jets are responsible for fuel until about 1/8 throttle, where the main jet begins to take over. if your only having idle issues, it could be the cause. they are located at the front of the carb just in front of the float bowl. they are accessable without removing the float bowl, but they do require a special tool to adjust them. A good starting point would be 2 turns out from the jet being tightened all the way in.

as far as the gas goes. If your bike calls out for 87 octane, run 87 octane. premium will have no benifit and may actually cause a power loss. Premium gas just resist detonation, which also means it has a slower burn rate, which can lead to less power. Run what ever is suggested to run. Running premium really has no benefit unless your bike is heavily modified.

Old 10-23-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
I was going to suggest that it sounds like the pilot jets are either out of adjustment, or dirty. But after hearing the previous owner synced the carbs, I would double check to make sure they are done correctly. Carbs rarely need to be synced, and any time a bike runs erratically, people sync them, and usually incorrectly. the other issue is, if something else is wrong, syncing the carbs will actually throw them off. the bike has to be running correct in order to sync them. Out of sync carbs will run irratic at idle but usually fine at upper rpms. Also, out of sync carbs return to idle very slowly. Instead of the idle returing as soon as you let of the throttle, the rpms will stay up around 3 grand or so for a few seconds before slowly coming back down.

But, a quick check would be the pilot jets. What may be happening is there isnt enough fuel entering the combustion chamber at idle. The pilot jets are responsible for fuel until about 1/8 throttle, where the main jet begins to take over. if your only having idle issues, it could be the cause. they are located at the front of the carb just in front of the float bowl. they are accessable without removing the float bowl, but they do require a special tool to adjust them. A good starting point would be 2 turns out from the jet being tightened all the way in.

as far as the gas goes. If your bike calls out for 87 octane, run 87 octane. premium will have no benifit and may actually cause a power loss. Premium gas just resist detonation, which also means it has a slower burn rate, which can lead to less power. Run what ever is suggested to run. Running premium really has no benefit unless your bike is heavily modified.
Wow, thank you very much for the explanation!
really, thanks for taking the time to post all that. appreciate it!
I will check out what you mentioned.

Thanks

Old 10-24-2010, 06:24 AM

maybe check your charging systems? could be that the bike isnt getting enough juice at idle until you start moving

may also explain hard start up. a weak battery will struggle to start a bike. i got a 95 900rr and it starts right up in cold weather with the choke on.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by CBRnoobie
maybe check your charging systems? could be that the bike isnt getting enough juice at idle until you start moving

may also explain hard start up. a weak battery will struggle to start a bike. i got a 95 900rr and it starts right up in cold weather with the choke on.
Nah, battery is about 1 year old, should still be good. I went out today at like 1 and the bike started up in one try with the choke. I'm thinking it was just the cold that messed with it when I went out yesterday. Today it didn't stall out or die at all

Old 10-24-2010, 03:26 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Originally Posted by Ren19
Nah, battery is about 1 year old, should still be good. I went out today at like 1 and the bike started up in one try with the choke. I'm thinking it was just the cold that messed with it when I went out yesterday. Today it didn't stall out or die at all

Batteries can easily go bad you may want to test your charging system anyways and a carb clean isnt going to hurt it you might have a
had something pass through your pilot jet and got hung up but made its way through so if it happens again pm me i had similar problems i can help walk you through the diagnosis

Old 10-24-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by LjHarp
Batteries can easily go bad you may want to test your charging system anyways and a carb clean isnt going to hurt it you might have a
had something pass through your pilot jet and got hung up but made its way through so if it happens again pm me i had similar problems i can help walk you through the diagnosis
Okay thanks I'll let you know.