General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket Swap... How To? (600 RR sp. size??)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket Swap... How To? (600 RR sp. size??)

Hey guys.... along w/ a step by step, or just things i should look out for, and check before im doing 90 on the highway, I also would like to know the CBR 600 RR's "stock configuration" for its front and rear sprocket. The guy I bought my bike from said he went 1 down in front, 2 up in back, and i count 15 on front, and 47 on back... does that sound right? Also... im looking for either a colored chain, or maybe be going x-ring, if you guys can talk me into it... what exactly are the benefits? do they last longer w/out adjusting?

thanks for any how-to/lookout for info. It would be greatly appreciated. As soon as I get an idea on how many teeth I need to order... i can get this whole thing under way :P

take it easy, thanks again in advance,

Chris

Old 04-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Default RE: Sprocket Swap... How To? (600 RR sp. size??)

Stock for those bikes are 17 front and 45 rear, I think. As for the swap, its pretty simple, you should be able to do it if you have ANY mechanical ability at all. Remove your countershaft cover, loosen the bolts holding your countershaft sprocket on, undo your chain, if it is a riveted chain you will probably have to use a grinder and cut the chain off. After that, remove your rear wheel and remove the sprocket from the wheel. All your new hardware should bolt right back on. Make sure you use blue loc-tite on all the bolts that you put back in or you will be shucking parts down the highway! Re-assemble everything, double check, and triple check. Lube your new chain, and you should be good to go. This all should take you a few hours and a six pack. **WARNING**-DO NOT USE SIX PACK IN THE EVENT THAT YOU WANT TO RIDE IMMEDIATELY AFTER WORKING ON YOUR BIKE!!!**

As for the x-ring chain, I love them, had one on a dirt bike and loved it and I just ordered a new one for my CBR. They actually do stay lubed longer, and I don't think they wear as fast either. I am doing a two sprocket swap and chain replacement on my bike this week, I will try to take pics and email them to you, or maybe post here on the forum if bandwidth isn't an issue.

Old 04-11-2005, 03:46 PM

awesome! thanks redliner I do still have one question though... is there any way that I can make absolutely certain that my sprockets are aligned? right now, after adjusting the chain, we checked the marks on the adjustment, then measured with a tape measure, and it seems as if maybe its a tiny bit crooked... but i wouldnt really know the difference [&:]

thanks for the info,

Chris

Old 04-20-2005, 01:32 AM

If it was aligned before with your old sprokets, it shouldnt need new spacers. I measured from the outter edge of my back rim to the outside edge of my swing arm. This aligns your rear wheel to be square with the bike. One way of telling if your sprokets are in line is to roll the rear wheel, while it is on a stand. The chain should wrap freely around both sprockets with little or no resistance or "ticking". If it jumps or resists to being turnedin a particular spot, it is probably out. If all else fails you may need to put new spacers in your rear axle to align it. Good luck.[8D]