General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spray Paint Fairing Repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray Paint Fairing Repair

Hello guys. I have an o4 1000rr. Full winning red. My bike suffered some damage on left side. I replaced the mid upper cowl from a dealership (man those things are expensive). The lower one is in pretty good condition but has a big scratch. The dealership ordered me one but when they delivered it was black. Apparently most of these bikes come in Red with black lower mid cowls. And in order for me to get one they would have to special order me one from japan and it sounded expensive. I figured before I went that route I would some DIY repairs.

SO I taped out all the good parts and sanded down .( after reading through the general tech forum I realzed i used the wrong grade sand paper). To get the big scratch evened out I used some high build primer I bought from auto zone. I finally got all the imperfections out let it dry and have been sanding it down with some 400 grain sandpaper. I have been doing wet sand. It looks pretty smooth all the scratches are gone.

My concern is that seeing that I didnt resurface the entire fairing, when I put the color on will it look uneven compared to the parts that are currently taped up.

As far as color goes I ordered the base coat and color, and clear coat from this site. http://www.colorrite.com/product/hon...g-red-1347.cfm

Let me know what you guys think before I move on.

I was thinkin about 2 coats of base then 2 or 3 coats of color then some clear.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you get enough, thinks thats where I ordered paint from when I painted my tail. I cut thru wet sanding a run out of the clear and there wasnt enough base color to respray the area so I had to go to a loal shop and try and get it matched up. They were umm 'close' but not exact lol.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:51 PM

First off: Don't ever buy anything from a dealer, ever (ever).

Secondly: Color Rite is the way to go. Be aware that Honda often has a base coat of one color, then a top coat of another.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by gstone32
My concern is that seeing that I didnt resurface the entire fairing, when I put the color on will it look uneven compared to the parts that are currently taped up.
And THAT depends 1000% on how good you are at it. Blending is an art painters spend a lifetime perfecting.

Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Well not only am I worried about the blending in the colors, I am worrying about different in layer heights when i remove the tape.

Colorrite was the only place I found that had the exact color.(the color is expensive though). Anyways I will contiune to sand and keep you guys updated. I appreciate all the responses, keep em comin

Old 06-29-2009, 05:08 PM

Also do you guys think I can get results from the cans or should i just bite the cost and take it to shop? I asked for some prices but most shops said 200 to 300 to repair and paint and some said I had to provide paint. also i found fairings OEM on bikebandit.com for about 400 + dollars. Idk I want it to look good.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:52 PM

You're not going to be able to paint just part of the fairing, when you take the tape off there will be a line. What you need to do is take the fairing off, prime and paint the whole piece. Thats the only way to get it to look reasonably good. And make sure you wet sand with 1500 between your base and clear coat.

It's not worth cheating on a paint job, trust me, it will just look like crap and you wont be happy with it.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by ndf4i
You're not going to be able to paint just part of the fairing, when you take the tape off there will be a line. What you need to do is take the fairing off, prime and paint the whole piece. Thats the only way to get it to look reasonably good. And make sure you wet sand with 1500 between your base and clear coat.

It's not worth cheating on a paint job, trust me, it will just look like crap and you wont be happy with it.
Yeah thats kinda what I was worried about.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:29 AM

I have to agree. I have never painted bike fairings but I was a painter in one of my previous forms of employment. Don't go half way on the paint job. NDf4i is def right in that you need to remove, sand,prime and paintthe whole fairing. The color will not flow smoothly otherwise. You will be much more satisfied if you paint the whole thing.