General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedo possibly showing higher than actual temp-Cbr600f4i

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default speedo possibly showing higher than actual temp-Cbr600f4i

Hi Guys, my fan always kicked in later than usual. It used to come on at 108-110 C whereas I think should come on between 98 and 104 C as per haynes. I always thought the fan switch was old, but after replacing the switch with brand new oem, i still didn't see the fan kicking in even after 110 C was reached. I now think the temp displayed is higher than usual.
Is there a way current may leak leading to higher than actual being displayed? I know this can happen due to faulty grounds and I am having some grounding issues with the front headlamp where the subloom meets the loom at the connector to the left, but then shouldn't the bike stop completely rather than leak current if that connector was the problem? Besides, I have always had this 'issue' of fan kickin in late -even before I started getting the ground problem.
Thanks

Old 10-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The read out for the temperature is through the coolant temp sensor. The fan comes on with the fan switch. The temperatures are taken at completely opposite parts of the system. The temp is motor temp and the fan is radiator temp.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The read out for the temperature is through the coolant temp sensor. The fan comes on with the fan switch. The temperatures are taken at completely opposite parts of the system. The temp is motor temp and the fan is radiator temp.
Thanks for the reply 74demon. I am aware the readout comes from the temp sensor which is in the thermostat housing and the fan switch bolts into the radiator. The temp sensor in theory should read higher than what the fan switch sees at the radiator given that the temp sensor comes first in the coolant circuit.
That's not my point. my point is that the fan switch should ground and complete the fan circuit between 98-104C by design(of the fan switch).Now this quoted temp range is I think what the temp sensor reads and what is displayed in the speedo and not really the actual temp the fan switch sees(which I think should be lower as it comes further down in the coolant circuit.

Now given that most f4i owners notice there fans come on between 98-104/105 which is a lot earlier than on my bike then the display is giving me a higher temp readout.I ruled out the fan switch being a problem by switching to a brand new switch and totally fresh coolant(engine ice).
Now the higher reading could be due to the temp sensor itself or some electrical issue amplifying the voltage from the temp sensor. I want to understand how this can happen-my guess is some bad ground, but don't know which/where?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:01 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

The coolant temp sensor could have resistance issues causing a slightly off reading, or the thermostat could be slow opening. That would cause the coolant in the motor to stay a bit warmer.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
The coolant temp sensor could have resistance issues causing a slightly off reading, or the thermostat could be slow opening. That would cause the coolant in the motor to stay a bit warmer.
I can confirm the temp reading jumps by 1-2 C if I turn the headlamp on and falls down when the it's turned off. This was done with the engine not running, so definitely there's some kind of amplification happening. have someone else noticed this?

Old 11-25-2017, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the fan thermoswitch at the top of the radiator? If so then a low coolant level would make it so the hot coolant never gets up to the level of the switch and activates it. Check that you filled it fully and bled out the air.

Old 11-25-2017, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by ShtBiker
Is the fan thermoswitch at the top of the radiator? If so then a low coolant level would make it so the hot coolant never gets up to the level of the switch and activates it. Check that you filled it fully and bled out the air.
Coolant level is fine. I pulled the fairing last week to check again. It's to the brim. The switch is kind of midway, actually more towards the bottom.