General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seafoam

I've had a can of seafoam that I bought a while ago but haven't used it yet and now I have the day off for some TLC on the bike. My question is, how should I really use this thing? Just in the gas tank? I remember using it a while ago with someone on their truck and we did it(through vacuum) before replacing the plugs. The thing blew crazy smoke out of the exhaust for a few minutes then ran clean. The guy said it fouls up the plugs but burns everything out of it. Is this true? If so I'd rather not because I have already replaced the plugs a few thousand miles ago.

Thanks for any input.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZBike
I've had a can of seafoam that I bought a while ago but haven't used it yet and now I have the day off for some TLC on the bike. My question is, how should I really use this thing? Just in the gas tank? I remember using it a while ago with someone on their truck and we did it(through vacuum) before replacing the plugs. The thing blew crazy smoke out of the exhaust for a few minutes then ran clean. The guy said it fouls up the plugs but burns everything out of it. Is this true? If so I'd rather not because I have already replaced the plugs a few thousand miles ago.

Thanks for any input.
Ive never changed the plugs after doing seafoam through the vacuum lines. Ive done it with both my ranger and jeep and other cars using the brake booster line and never had it foul the plugs. My jeep had 250k on it when i did it and it smoked bad for the first 10 miles even after running it for 30 mins but it really smoothed things out.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks. Ever just added it to the fuel?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ZBike
Thanks. Ever just added it to the fuel?
Yes, usually when i get a car i use a whole can. 1/3 in tank 1/3 through brake booster and the last 1/3 goes into the oil 30 miles before i change it. Doesnt always make a noticeable change but usuallly the more miles it has the more it helps. I want to try some in the cbr but not sure if i can use it in a tank that has been relined.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

I've never gone the vacuum route. I normally add an oz. per gal. of fuel every 3 - 4 tanks. And yea there is a ton of white smoke, from my understanding it is because seafoam is a petroleum based product. I would recommend sticking to the fuel. However, I have a thing about not putting additives in my lubrication system.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:55 AM

have been using seafoam forever. it is the best stuff in the world. i oz. per gallon in gas for constant treat. u can also use it at the end of the season as a stabilizer, just add to fuel run for a while and thats it. this stuff is great on cars when they act up, cleans entire system. it can be used with diesel and also in your oil.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:13 PM

A lot of people (including myself) that own 7th Gen Accords do the vacuum method however, there is no need to change the spark plugs, only the oil.

Refer to this for more info on how they use seafoam on Accords: Seafoam, clean MAF and new fluids - Drive Accord Honda Forums

As far as the CBR goes, I never used it myself cuh I've heard horror stories on what seafoam does to bikes. But at the sametime, they claim adding in 91 is a waste of money.....but that's a totally different topic.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by CJardine
I have a thing about not putting additives in my lubrication system.
what he said, I tend to stay away from snake oils altogether.

Mobile 1 actually advises people not to add anything into it's oil.

I've seen seafoam used on old corrola's by using the vacuum line.

Last edited by Chrisb319; 04-06-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've thrown it in both my tank and the oil on my F4i - no problems. Just be sure to change the oil after putting it in there.

I think it works well, and it brought my friend's Harley back to life (just from the tank) after it sat for a year or more (although the engine was so fouled it actually shot flames out of the tail pipe - that was pretty sweet.) On my F4i I haven't noticed a dramatic improvement, but I still throw some in every few months.