F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

F4I seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F4I seafoam

So I'm making this thread because I tried searching & not much for fuel injected or any for the F4i. I assume the 2 vacuum hoses on the bottom of my airbox is where I would pour it thru if I wanted to go that route. What I did instead was, realized my aerosol can was not spraying, & just trickled some into the throttle bodies, unevenly & one at a time. Then I got brave & started dumping a cap full in each. On the third one, the engine stalled - no hydrolock, nothing bad afaik. According to the owner's manual, if you hold the throttle wide open it cuts the flow of fuel for flooded engines. I dunno if thats the case but the bike roared back to life & a huge smoke cloud, probably all the liquid in the cylinder combined w/ WOT air.

Runs like a champ. So has anyone successfully used seafoam properly & have any advice? I'm changing my plugs in the next few days. I'm running it through the injectors as well but mainly want to clean off the pistons

Last edited by gotcbr; 08-28-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:18 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I've seen enough of these apart to know the engine internals don't need to be cleaned if you've properly maintained it.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:43 AM

agreed, but this bike sat for 6 solid years, always ran rich according to the previous owner, and for the past 1,000+ miles i've been mistakenly running 89 octane in it.
as a bonus i found out about a leak at the mid pip to the tail pipe, i've suspected it but the smoke provided shown me.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:45 AM

I've never tried it in the vacuum lines, but have run it in the gas tank. I put 1oz per gallon in after a fill up. It may have been a placebo effect but the bike felt like it ran a little smoother and my throttle response got better. The smoke is definatley a result of the seafoam, youtube seafoam smoke and you will see some pretty crazy videos.

Old 08-29-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love seafoam. Pour 1/4 can into your oil a hundred miles before your next oil change and it will be the blackest oil you've ever seen.

Pour in the tank to clean out the fuel system/injectors real well too.

To clean the intake you really need and aerosol version to mist it into the throttle blades and do all 4 at the same time. Which is pretty much impossible without 4 cans. But like boredandstroked said it's not really necessary unless you neglect your bike.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyGT
agreed, but this bike sat for 6 solid years, always ran rich according to the previous owner, and for the past 1,000+ miles i've been mistakenly running 89 octane in it.
as a bonus i found out about a leak at the mid pip to the tail pipe, i've suspected it but the smoke provided shown me.
These are all reasonable ideas why to seafoam it. I'd just add some to the gas though.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Rudy:

Is the leak between the mid-pipe and the exhaust a problem? I put an aftermarket exhaust on, but the bracket is terrible so I know there's a leak there. Didn't really seem to cause any problems, though.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by vegas_rebel
Is the leak between the mid-pipe and the exhaust a problem?
i honestly don't know, the pipes make back pressure for scavenging exhaust i think, so its definitely not ideal if they are off at all.
mine is leaking from where the 2 pipes go into one, the strap there is lose i guess, i'll be inspecting closer for rust.
but it goes 4 to 2 to 1 to my slip on and mine is right at the 2 to 1.
i think i may buy 2 cans and just dual wield them spraying into the throttle body, or a spray bottle that won't melt with a wide spray.

Last edited by RudyGT; 08-29-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-29-2012, 07:37 PM

Good deal.

Your thread inspired me to throw some Seafoam into the gas and crankcase. I'll shoot around for a day or two then change the oil.

Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 PM

watch some video's on youtube and read the websites instructions, keep in mind that fuel additives can, over time foul your spark plugs.
you won't get the effect of alot of smoke adding it just to the gas, for best results i think, or as they put it quicker results..
is to go directly into the cylinder via the brake hose (whatever that is) which i guess is the vacuum lines.
me personally i wouldn't stall the engine out, but you can see as you add it slowly it will start to smoke, at that point you turn it off and let it sit on the pistons for a while, then crank again. all with a warm engine.
1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the oil, 1/3 in the top end, however you get it there.
if anyone thinks that any damage to the rings can happen or anything please by all means chime in, i haven't seen anything negative about it with reasons.

Last edited by RudyGT; 08-29-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Quick Reply: F4I seafoam