General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safety importance of front sprocket cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:59 PM
MZ5
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety importance of front sprocket cover?

I REALLY want to ride my bike. It's parked, partly waiting for a piece that was lost (not by me) under the front sprocket cover, and partly because the haboobies (my personal preference for the plural form of the arabic word haboob ) here have been horrible lately, and partly because of it being almost 120 out. But, like I said, I REALLY want to ride. Even just a bit.

The piece/part that's missing is the metal shim/spacer/'safety' piece that gets sandwiched between the engine case and the front sprocket cover. Without that piece, the sprocket cover hits the sprocket retainer bolt. Not only does that grind and melt the plastic of the cover, it makes a rather irritating noise (and smell of burning plastic).

So, I'm thinking about riding without the cover. Would you? Or, is that metal piece (there to help prevent the chain flying uncontrolled all over the place if it catastrophically fails) something you'd consider critical for rider and/or bike safety. The new one will be here some time next week, so this isn't gonna be a long-term thing. Just to work in the AM, maybe up to a bike shop across town in the PM, and then back home.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I think the bottom line here is that it's your call. Every time we get on our bikes, we weigh the risks of riding against not riding. We accept the risk based on both know things as well as unknown things. This just adds to the list of known things that you need to be aware of. Take extra precaution that nothing gets near that while you're moving. Catastrophic failure of a chain is probably pretty minimal for any 1 or 2 rides. As for me, I've got other bikes I can ride.

Just an opinion here...

Old 07-08-2011, 02:52 AM

Threw mine away on my CR250. Just kept the aluminium case saver. Not so bad on a road bike but a dirt bike clogs up with mud and prematurely wears out your chain. Stuff can't build up in there if it's gone. Only thing I'm concerned about is a chain snapping and smashing the casing. Personally I don't think it can hit your foot or ankle with where it's located. The part of the frame where the swing arm pivot is pretty much shields you anyway. It's only a couple of inches exposed in front of that location so I doubt anything too bad will happen in the event of a chain failing. I've had it happen on dirt bikes a couple of times even with it bunching up and jamming around the front sprocket. Your call though but I'd ride it.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM

Haven't had one on my 600RR in years, we remove a lot of them on track bikes.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

I think you know you probably shouldn't ride your bike until you get the part replaced, but like all bikers, your impatient! LOL! Seriously though, I'd wait just in case more damage than you'd like is caused. Best option in the end mate!

Originally Posted by MZ5
I REALLY want to ride my bike. It's parked, partly waiting for a piece that was lost (not by me) under the front sprocket cover, and partly because the haboobies (my personal preference for the plural form of the arabic word haboob ) here have been horrible lately, and partly because of it being almost 120 out. But, like I said, I REALLY want to ride. Even just a bit.

The piece/part that's missing is the metal shim/spacer/'safety' piece that gets sandwiched between the engine case and the front sprocket cover. Without that piece, the sprocket cover hits the sprocket retainer bolt. Not only does that grind and melt the plastic of the cover, it makes a rather irritating noise (and smell of burning plastic).

So, I'm thinking about riding without the cover. Would you? Or, is that metal piece (there to help prevent the chain flying uncontrolled all over the place if it catastrophically fails) something you'd consider critical for rider and/or bike safety. The new one will be here some time next week, so this isn't gonna be a long-term thing. Just to work in the AM, maybe up to a bike shop across town in the PM, and then back home.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:34 AM
MZ5

Cool; thanks. Riding without until the part shows next week.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM

I'd vote ride without. I wouldn't that little piece of plastic is going to do much if the chain really wants to go flying. As others have said, it isn't going to come at you. The chain motion is parallel to the frame and the likelihood of it breaking anyways is very slim.