General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe to powdercoat clutch cover?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe to powdercoat clutch cover?

Sending off the frame tomorrow to get powdercoated, as well as a bunch of other bits. I've taken the stator and clutch covers off my F4i, but the clutch cover has the oil window in it, sealed with a rubber gasket, as well as two needle bearings for the shift linkage built into the case. Is it safe to powdercoat as-is, with the temperatures of the process? Has anyone powdercoated any Honda case cover with that type of setup?

Old 01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Default RE: Safe to powdercoat clutch cover?

My step father does powder coating for a living, I have had all kinds of things coated and the only thing you need to worry about is things that will melt and moving parts. I think you will have to take out the window(if there is a way) and I know you have to take out the bearings. I hope that helps.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 AM

Awesome; yeah that helps answer my question, but also creates a bigger problem, haha - those bearings aren't removable. Hmm, I guess I'll have to go with plan B and just paint the covers...

Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Registered Users

hey klutch, i had mine done...

here's how it works...the window and the o-ring were left in during powder and came out absolutely fine...in fact the o-ring survived which i was surprised...i would think because it's a high-temp material being in the clutch casing with the oil...

as for the needle bearings...once again...were left in...now...my only caveat to that is make sure they mask them off well...the place that did mind didn't and i got some sand in the needle bearing during blasting...after taking some time and re-lubricating the needle bearing....also being that they are in cased in oil (i know the oil doesn't get that high filled, i am considering splashing and the like), they are working just fine....but it was a crappy feeling to get them back and here them sort of grinding a little bit until i worked em a bit...

bottom line, you can have it powdered NO PROBLEM, without taking out the window (which if you do will likely crack) and without taking out the needle bearings.....also make sure to separate the cover...it's two pieces actually...the part with the big nut screws off and there is an o-ring in there which you should take out...

check out my diary pics and you can see my powdercoatd clutch and stator cover...i love it...it turned out awesome and has a great finish...much better tha painting in my personal opinion just because of durability and it being so close to the ground...

Old 01-04-2008, 02:01 PM

Hey maybe I was wrong. Lol FFingers did and it worked, I would just be weird about gettin sand in my bearing and those seals from the heat, but if it works. I might just have to take mine off and get thewm done.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Registered Users

you can see it here in the background...don't really have a great pic of it...

Name:  DSC_0010.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  58.2 KB

you can see the needle bearings here towards the top right....

Name:  DSC01739.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  79.9 KB

if you just make sure they pack and seal that area off...you'll be fine...if some sand gets in there....lube it up to try and clean it out...i used some wd-40....then wiped it down...after putting in the lever it was all good...haven't had a problem since...

Old 01-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Interesting; thanks a ton for the advice. Do you know what temp they baked the covers in? I've been quoted a few times its done at 400 degrees, which should probably melt any plastic or rubber, even stuff in the engine (oil doesn't get anywhere near that temp). Have you had the cover back on the bike, running, all that fun stuff? I should have posted earlier; I just spend an hour painting my cover, and it came out pretty good. The powdercoating place was closed today, so I'll have to go back Monday; maybe I'll think about stripping the paint and getting it coated.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:11 PM

Oh hey, on the same topic, have you had the rearsets coated? I just noticed the footpegs have rubber on the top of them...

Old 01-06-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered Users

yeah i have everything back on and have been riding...with absolutely no problems...no leaks, no shifting problems...nothing...

as for the rearsets...yep had those done too...you need to disassemble the rearsets before sending them out...that rubber piece is screwed in underneath the rearset with an allen screw....just unscrew it and it pops off...if you look at my diary, you can see how i disassemble the rearsets....same with the pass pegs....there is a spring, a ball bearing, and a locking plate that make them bend and click into place....you take out the clevis pin and you're all good....just disassmeble, keep your pieces together and ship to the coater the stuff to be coated, not the internals...do the same for both pass pegs and rearsets and you'll be golden...

so far..i have had coated...

midpipe and exhaust tip (ceramic coated gloss black)
rearsets
pass pegs
chain guard
heel guards
stator cover
crank cover
brake line retaining hooks

SENDING OUT
rims
swinger
subframe

far future...the frame (intimidated about trying to take out the engine to get it coated)....

good luck...if you have any more questions let me know..