General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running issues, any input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running issues, any input appreciated

Lately I have noticed a hesitation on acceleration. I have new plugs, new stator, and new rectifier. Could the pulsar be goiong out? I also have noticed that if I turn my high beams on, my bike shuts off completely and both bulbs blow? Any input on my problem will be greatly appreciated

Old 07-07-2009, 08:55 AM

Sounds like potentially separate issues. You've got a 14 year old bike that you haven't stated you've ever cleaned \ rebuilt the carbs on. Have you? 14 years of wear on the cabrs would absolutely cause accelleration hesitation. Also, air filter, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay are all very common causes.

As far as the elctrical problem (which may still be the overall problem), What is the output voltage of your R/R when you rev the bike to 4k? I know you've replaced the R/R before, but the OEM ones in these bikes are junk, and I personally wouldn't even trust a brand new one. Aslo inspect it to physical damage like warped \ melted plastic.

Old 07-08-2009, 04:33 PM

Thank you for the reply. I had the carbs cleaned at the beginning of the riding season this year at a shop. I replaced the r/r with a aftermarket one just last week. If I flip the high beam switch on, it immediately cuts all power to the bike and I usually have to wait for the power to come back. I will check the voltage when I find my meter

Old 07-09-2009, 10:52 AM

"Wait for the power to come back" is a weird scenario. There aren't any PPTC fuses in the bike, so I don't know why it's acting like that. the only thing CLOSE to that is the resisters in the R/R, which shut themselves off when they overheat, which is caused by too high of voltage. As your headlight does not PRODUCE any voltage, I can't see this being the issue. Best I can think of is the added wattage the high-beam sucks up is putting too much strain on the electrical system, and the resulting low voltage isn't enough to run antything, so the bike shuts down. This is pointing right back to the R/R. Get a reading from it when the bike is off, then at idle, 4k, and then when you hit the high beam switch.

Does the power cut out when the bike is NOT running and you hit the switch? If it stays on, you could have a stator issue.

Last edited by johnnyx; 07-09-2009 at 10:57 AM.