General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

running issue.... confused

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running issue.... confused

Ok, so about two weeks ago I came home from work on my lunch and my bike was running great, got home ate lunch, went to go leave the bike gave me problems trying to start, finally started but was running rough, went to pull outta my yard in first gear went to stop at the end of my driveway and pulled in the clutch and the bike idled up to a steady 2k for a good 5-7 seconds then died down to normally idle before idling rough and dieing and being hard to start, did this about 5 time before I gave up and parked the bike in my garage, the bike sat for two weeks and this past Friday I decided to give it another try, pulled the bike out, took 15 minutes of cranking and pumping the throttle before she fired up and would stay running, took the bike out for a spin and it drove great, didn't die or run rough, and I took the bike out tonight and its still running great, I'm dumbfounded and not sure what could have caused that problem, my bike is a 96 CBR 600f3, about 2000 miles on the engine since I rebuilt it( new rings, bearings, honed cylinders), new r.r., new stator, rebuilt carbs that are jetted, Jardine slip on, rebuilt head all new valves, new fuel pump and relay, new main relay, new DP clutch, clean UNI air filter. I think that's it, any help is much appreciated, thanks.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, that was mean. I'd recommend you bring it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:37 PM

Couple things... One, your an ***, these forums are for help and not ridicule, two you obviously have no clue either, three rebuilding a motor is one thing, I nessicarily don't wanna just start wasting money swapping parts till I find out the problem, rebuilding and diagnosing are two different worlds, hence why I asked for help, so if you can't understand the difference between rebuilding a motor which is actually quite simple vs diagnosing an intermittent problem which can be a pain in the ***, then obviously you don't know **** about engine or electrical on the simplist of terms, so keep your " lol, you can rebuild a motor but can't figure out what's wrong with it LOLOLOL" comments to yourself instead of being a jackass.... Jackass

Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 AM

i would pull the carbs and check the floaters first and check fuel lines. as for the dyin part maybe an exposed wire touching metal cause it to drain the battery for blow a fuse?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Do you have access to one of those InfraRed thermometers ? You could use that to see if any of your exhaust header pipes has a significantly different temperature. That might help localize air/fuel issues.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Other point to mention, check all of the connectors. One might be loose and "jiggly".
It's easy on such an extensive build to miss firmly seating something.

With all the care you've put into the bike, have you tried di-electric grease pack in
all of the harness connections? It prevents corrosion/moisture from infiltrating them.
It's especially important on a daily rider. One that is an "All-Weather/24-7",
kind of beast. I consider it a must do kind of mainteance, on all of my bikes.

One other thing, check to see if you have a flaky fuse. Try swapping them all out.
Stash the old ones in a zip-lock, under the seat. Might help, can't hurt. Cheap, too.
Be sure and coat/grease the blades on the new fuses.

IDoDirt's suggestion will definitely give you some solid data to work from, too.

Hope this helps, Ern

Old 05-23-2013, 08:19 PM

I apologize for not responding to all of you that actually helped sooner, this first person to respond pissed me off and i said f-this and ill figure it out myself, i replaced the TP sensor and while i was replacing it i had noticed that the joint connecter inside was absent. ordered a new joint connecter and BAM!, bike has been flawless since, thank for all your help though.