General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Question: Turning

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding Question: Turning

Actually you really do need to push on the bars, especially at higher speeds on sharp corners. Just leaning won't cut it.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I noticed something no one has mentioned. Look ahead into the curve (Good practice to also use when driving straight). On a course you can see to the end of curves (for the most part) but on the street there are many curves that cannot be seen all the way through. Look as far ahead into the curve as you can. You'll find that your head is turning and when you come out of the curve, the bike and body come back into alignment with the head. What are yall’s thoughts on this?

Old 08-19-2007, 01:16 PM

You are countersteering even if you don't intend to, that's the only way a2 wheeled vehicleturns at speed, being aware of countersteering and how to do it properly can only help.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:32 PM

As far as the push/pull thing goes, I don't even think of that. I look to my exit point in the turn and my hands follow my eyes...I guess, it's not a conscious thing with me anymore. I do ride with a light grip on my bars, I prefer to grip my knees for stability and stay clear of any forceful things on the bars.

When I turn, my weight is forward, but not all on my hands. I put most weight on the tank. When entering the corner, I weight the inside peg (usually by sticking my knee out for the wing effect) then as you feel it get into the lean, put weight on the outside peg somewhat gradually, increasing as speed increases. I dunno if this is the right thing for street, but I have been doing it for so long on a dirtbike I can't stop. I think the concept is the same.

Random side question: I have NEVER used a steering dampner. Do these things actual help? I don't often get wiggle bar, do I really need one?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steering damper do help WHEN you get tank slappers or ride in crappy uneven roads...but what helps more is properly adjusted and serviced suspension. otherwise they just sit there and make steering tight.

too many people get one because they think it's cool or to cover up an improperly set up suspension.

so do you really need one...but it's good to have one...

if you run hard on the track or twists, then you should get one...

Old 08-21-2007, 11:40 AM

nobody's mentioned something very important! You can push pull, twist or tango. Knowing how to make a bike turn is only 10% of taking a curve. You need to know how to read your turn, what line to take through, and to keep it smooth. There are hundreds of books on the subject. But I recommend attending a class(road-racing). The elements you will learn will make you a much safer and more confident rider.

Old 08-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Hedp203

You need to know how to read your turn, what line to take through, and to keep it smooth. There are hundreds of books on the subject. But I recommend attending a class(road-racing). The elements you will learn will make you a much safer and more confident rider.
Excellent point! One of our members just went to his first trackday and said he learned a TON!!! There are a lot of ways to turn better, but having the right line will definately help.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:47 PM

ORIGINAL: Hedp203

nobody's mentioned something very important! You can push pull, twist or tango. Knowing how to make a bike turn is only 10% of taking a curve. You need to know how to read your turn, what line to take through, and to keep it smooth. There are hundreds of books on the subject. But I recommend attending a class(road-racing). The elements you will learn will make you a much safer and more confident rider.
Good suggestion. Planning on it. See Post:
https://cbrforum.com/m_367048/tm.htm

Old 08-22-2007, 06:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

One thing that I have to keep realizing is that when they say push right to turn right, they mean push down as in lean the bike to the right. If you follow their example literally, especially with anything other than a sportbike, you'll turn the bars to the left and wipe out.
Mike, first, you have a lot more experience than I have in this...so I still could be wrong. I thought the same thing as you all through the MSF class that I took. It wasn't until I watched the first vid below that I decided to try just turning the handlebars to the right to turn left. I was shocked as hell to "feel" it work. Give it a try at about 30 mph. I found that I didn't have to lean...the bike did it all for me.

Countersteering 101: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C848R9xWrjc
Here is another video demonstrating it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8IdTq3_3WI