CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Turning off while riding...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turning off while riding...

Besides an otherwise easy commute to and from my job for the last couple months I've had this one nagging problem withmy F2. Ithas a recurring problem of turning off while I'm riding. It will cold-start just fine. Runs great while riding,but once it has warmed up (about 1/2 on the gauge), it likes to occasionallyturn itself off as it idles (at a stoplight, or coasting into slower traffic). Yet, it will button/roll start right back up again with no issues other than it may turn off again a little later. There is slight hesitation before it shuts off.

It has been back tomy mechanica fewtimes since this summer for this reason - each time leaving a few days later 'repaired'. Runs fine for awhile, then starts doing this again. I have had it back two weeks and it's now doing it again. I have also recently noticed that he has set the idle as high as it will go (around 1K RPM).

Since June, I have had:

a tune-up
carbs rebuilt
new plugs
new wires
new fuel filter
new battery
new complete wiring harness
new start-switch
new throttle cable
anda few other thingsI can't remember right now

Ionly use premium gas - tank always keptfull. It is storedunder a waterproof cover, outside, in nightsnormally no colder than77 degrees - and days usually no hotter than 86 or so. Ridden4 or 5 times a week to commute 20 minutesto workand back,sometimesan hour tripon a day off. Has seen a little rain while riding, but not while parked. It is not ridden hard, but may have been with its previous owners -though mymechanic tells me it's all in good condition.

Having had all the work listed above done in the last 6 mos., I can't think of any reason why it continueshaving this problem.

Besides a possible new mechanic, does anybody have any suggestions for what might fix this?

Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thanks.

- rey

Old 11-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Turning off while riding...

ahhh, the whole time I was reading it I was thinking "he needs a new mechanic" ...... but you already figured that out!

1k is the highest you can set your idle?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:31 AM

I would try the fuel lines. Sounds like u tryed alots of other stuff. And i was going to say your bike only idles at 1k max? I would check that out bro. And oh yeah get a new person to work on your sh*t.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

1k is the highest you can set your idle?
I think the idle should be around 1300.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:57 PM

1K at idle? sounds low to me. Mine idles at 1300 to 1800 and if I turn the idle screw in it will easily get up to 3000 or even 4000.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:12 PM

You should be able to wind the idle right up, but proper idle is 1,200 +/- 100rpm for 49 States + Canada type and 1,400 +/- 100rpm for California type.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 AM

Why are you running 93 octane? I too would suggest a new mechanic....

Old 11-11-2008, 09:10 AM

I've been trying to up the idle with the ****, but 1000 is as high as I can get it - any slight twist in the opposite direction and it immediately shuts off. When I first got it back from the shop over the summer, it held a smooth idle at about 500 or so. I thought it was wrong to have the idle set as high as it is now - but I see you guys are telling me differently.

The **** is turned as far as it will go. Any other ways of boosting up the idle to spec?

And as far as gas goes, should I not be using premium?

Thanks for the input, guys.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:04 PM

My bike runs fine on 89.

I think your problem may be with the idle ****, there is evidently something wrong with it anyhow.

I'm not sure if you know how it works, but at the other end of the **** you are turning is a "stop screw" that when threaded in it opens the throttle very slightly and holds it there, and that is where it will come back to rest when you release the hand throttle.

It basically does what you do with your right hand, only very accurately and only to keep the engine running steady at "idle".

I cant see this happening, but the threads on the stop screw may be stripped. Or the linkage that holds it in place could be bent or damaged in some way.

I'm not 100% sure that it IS the idle screw but I would start there.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Hershey

My bike runs fine on 89.

I think your problem may be with the idle ****, there is evidently something wrong with it anyhow.

I'm not sure if you know how it works, but at the other end of the **** you are turning is a "stop screw" that when threaded in it opens the throttle very slightly and holds it there, and that is where it will come back to rest when you release the hand throttle.

It basically does what you do with your right hand, only very accurately and only to keep the engine running steady at "idle".

I cant see this happening, but the threads on the stop screw may be stripped. Or the linkage that holds it in place could be bent or damaged in some way.

I'm not 100% sure that it IS the idle screw but I would start there.
+1

Quick Reply: Turning off while riding...