General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reverse Rotating Rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Reverse Rotating Rotors...

On the NON-TECHNICAL side of things........IT LOOKS cool as hell though!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: rippn

BB!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks for the post, very interesting. I love this kind of stuff, makes me think... Ouch, i hurt myself !!!!!!!!!
He's on crack!!!!!!!!!!
boy, i hope , I dont go the way of the guy who said" disk brakes, will never be of any use, on a motorcycle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok first, several times faster, in revearse???!!!!! how will the caliper input on the tubes react. remember the 70's, road racers had to determan these inputs, as it changes steering, braking, (remember anti dive?)ect.
Then a rotor going faster... 2+ times!!!!!!!!, is this the needed instant heat build up, for the space tech rotor materials???
Then, are we look'n for "dot 411" bake fluid???!!!!!!! are caliper seals, master cyls, compatibley resistant to temp exstreeeeeems!!!!!!!!! How about hub bearing temps, from heat proximity,tranfer... and "drive temps".
If the tire is going 180, how fast is that simple trany stuff, at 2.5X going, a million ??!!!!!!!!!!! and mass + inertia, two constants of physics.
Will this revive the ill fated attempts, at water cooling of brake components, in the late 50's ?????
does it take much more HP, when it all becomes "1pc." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm all for inovation... it's amazing, the boys at red, don't own this one already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
clean and free, only smoke'n harleys !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ripp'n
holy grammar

You do have some very good points. As far as the physics go, I don't see anything that couldn't be accounted for. RPM wise, if you can make a small block chevy turn 10,000 rpm lap after lap, this brake setup is completely feasible. Not sure where you took physics at, but the moment of Inertia of a hollow cylinder (wheel)= mass*radius^2 while the MOI of a solid cylinder = (1/2)MR^2, so the more mass closer to the rotation point, the easier it is to start/stop spinning. (same total mass) If they could lighten the wheel itself up it would help, but they are putting the weight at the best place possible.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRAMMER, died, when i was 4 !!! I still miss her. FFissics !!!!!!!!!!!!!! now yer talk'n my LINGO, (obviously!!!!) Yup get that mass as close to the center, but the additional unspung, might be a...
It's so fun to me, bloging w/ smart people, literaly. i've only had a comp. less than like 6 mo.... and boy, is it been a struggle, to ascend to 6th grade grammer( still have a few yrs.. to go !!!) I remember the first forum, I became a member to, after about 2 wks, one guy said, "hey, that big enter key, on the right side, will make paragraphs !!!!!!!" I was so humbled... but so greatfull!!!!!!!!!!! A hearty "THANK YOU" to everyone for ther help, Yes, I need it !!!!!!!!
I really do love to blog w/ people, w/ real educations, as, I learn. How is that fork spring stiffer, if i cut a inch off... WOW !!!!!!! How about those paralelagram swing arms of the old days, and atk double chain tensioners (top and buttom !!!!!!!), or me "designing" a wheelie bar for drag racing, w/ linkage that transferd, wieght transfer, to FINALLY, figureing out it would lift the rear tire...DA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think, I spent a wk. on that one. the then, sick and twisted, of pops yoshimura, during the wess cooly era!!!!!!!!! And who figured out that chassis's, "need" some flex ??????? Relieving pumping preasure, beneath pistons!!!!!!!!!! .Honda using paper gaskets, between hub and rotors, as a fix for non floating rotors ( my 84 1000f!!!!!!) It's all so interesting, and it's so cool to find "like minded"( no offense!!!!!!") people to learn from/ with. Italians had USD forks, in the 50's or 60's, what ?????????? Clean and free, Ripp'n. PS. " NO, the stick's, too big !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ", my latest quaundry !!!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2006, 08:43 PM

Mass, inertia, counter rotation, heat proximity, gyroscopic effect?.............Man I had no idea this motorcycling stuff was so complicated.

Old 05-01-2006, 12:36 PM

what you talking about willis?...all this bs and then the bs of counter steering...WTH? are bikes even supposed to be ridden!?!??!

Old 05-06-2006, 07:52 PM

very intersting stuff indeed, I took a little bit of physics, and it's true that the MOI on this setup is close to the axis, which is very good... I'm wondering if you'd be able to make something just as a counterweight that rotates in the opposite direction, but isn't part of the brake assembly.. this would add unsprung mass, yes, but could be a method of making it cheaper, and wouldn't require heavy duty gears to transfer the braking force.. as for the exact amount you want to reduce the inertia by, well, that will be dependand on MANY things, since as someone pointed out, if it's as easy to turn at 140 compared to a conventional system at 40, you may low side yourself mighty fast

very interesting stuff to think about

Old 05-11-2006, 02:26 AM

RX, I like that counterwieght idea better...even if that that trany setup is cloer to the hub, it's still extra unsprung wieght and somewhat self defeating...
I dont know there tech on the trany gears... but I would think lube and trany cool'ng might be a real factor, any gear to gear= heat!!!!!!! and tolerences on the gear drive... does it clunk on deceleration????
I understand rims can be a aditional valuble heat sink for disks...
I got to wonder who else(factory) has tried r&d on this one, and why it was abandond, and why arn't they stock on a buel ????!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could this truely be something "new under the sun"???? Tell me the ubberboys know nothing of this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SUCKER FAN GROUND EFFECTS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... now you got me go'n... on the fly adjustable body work for aerodynamics... suspension, that sucks down at high speed (on purpose!!!!) Clip ons that morph in to high and wide, in the twistys. benelli has adjustable distance velocity stacks...how bout pipe length,acording to rpm???????? Lazer bug zapper, ya, thats the ticket... LCD bodywork, for those tricky cat and mouse situations !!!!!!!!!!... now, about that bug zapper... Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 05-11-2006, 04:15 AM

hahahaha,.. and what was i thinking when I said "you might lowside yourself mighty fast".. you could actually highside or lowside yourself fast.. depending on if you're used to riding at high speeds and countersteering to lean in, you'd lean in way to fast, on the other hand, if you're not an experienced rider, and actualy try and turn the way ou want to go, you'd highside...

one way you could change this behavior is to make the fork angle less steep, kinda like a chopper, which would increaase your wheelbase as well. the trick to this would be to find the perfect balance.. and THAT may be hard

Old 05-11-2006, 04:32 AM
Retired Mod

there was actually a write-up on this product in the june 06 cycle world. everything seems feasable, but just how practical is it? can you imagine the posible outcome of that thing breaking apart at a high rate of speed? i'm a believer that technology needs to constantly move forward, but there is nothing wrong with what's currently being used and improved upon. less moving parts equals less crap to break.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 AM

I definitely agree with keeping it simple.. looking at modern bikes, they are as simple as always really.. I think one that that complicated things for good was liquid cooling, since it make tighter tolerances possible.. adding this reverse rotating rotor would add at least 5 moving parts to the front hub..., and the biggest pain in the *** is lubricating it.. if a seal leaks, it gets oil on your brake discs.. well, that could cause major issues