CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Vibration when rotating rear wheel on centrestand

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration when rotating rear wheel on centrestand

Hi all, got an odd one hoping someone can give me a second opinion on...

I'm planning on going for a short trip in tomorrow morning (10 hours time - about 250km all up) and was just in the shed putting my exhaust back on and checking oil, chain lube etc... and noticed that when I rotate my rear wheel it makes an odd vibration through the rear part of the bike when the slows down just before stopping after being spun by hand. It's not 'bolt losening' vibrations but certainly noticeable... I have noticed it at times when pulling up as well.

It does it both forward and backwards and only at a certain speed, if I really give the wheel a spin it doesn't make the vibration till it slows down and nearly stops. The vibration is pretty pronounced, and has a rythm to it not a random grinding type as if it were the wheel bearings.

For those who havn't read my other threads; I had the tyres replaced a few weeks back, I took the wheels off myself. I made sure the axle was lubed up prior to reinstalling, I adjusted the chain and that's when I noticed it was stretched in areas, i.e. if I adjusted the slack at one point and spun the wheel around to a different section of the chain is was tight... so I ended up adjusting it to about 30-40mm total play at the tightest part which equates to about 60-80mm at the looser end of the chain. I know I'm up for a new chain and sprockets, I was just hoping to squeeze a little more life out of them!! FWIW I checked if there was any sideways movement in the wheel (bearings) - it was rock solid.

The only noise being made during the vibrations is the typical disc/pad noise and the chain clicking away over the sprockets. The vibration is most noticeable when touching the bike on the tail or on the swingarm... touch the motor and don't notice it as much as anywhere else forward of the centrestand.

My thoughts are that it is the chain/sprockets which are causing the vibrations - anyone else care to comment?

Plus, do you think it ought to be safe enough to go for a run in the morning still? Just take it easy, no hard accelerating or downshifting.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Vibration when rotating rear wheel on centrestand

Hey- Gotta believe it's the chain giving you the fits. If it has a master link, I'd split it and do your spin test w/o the chain, elminate one thing at a time. If no master link you probably will have a lot harder time. Perhaps find the slack you need at the front sprocket. As for pressing on with a suspect chain, that's your call. How's your "good carma" lately? Good luck!

Old 03-02-2007, 06:41 PM

thanks for your reply cb2cbr. Don't know if it has a master link or not... havn't bothered to look that hard, I gave it a good clean when I brought the bike the other month as it was giving me some weird noise under takeoff load... a lube later and that was fixed, but at the time I noted it will be due for replacement in the coming months.

As for carma... lol... well I was late for work the other morning (20 hwy km away) and kinda kept gaining speed as I overtook one car after another, I looked down at the speedo and was doing speeds that would land me in the brink for 2 years around here. Huge adrenaline rush but probably a dumb move considering my chain is worn!! Probably didn't help and scretched it a bit more. I will start the ride off and feel my way with it... I'll turn back ifany signs ofthat itgets worse. But probably one of those things there'll be no warning and will just get messy real quick.

Old 03-02-2007, 07:28 PM

Just rang a bike shop in neighbouring town... full chain and sprockets fitted for around $400AUD... not cheap but on the ball reading up other prices seen on these threads... so I'll book it in in the next week or two when I can find $400 spare in the budget!

Old 03-02-2007, 08:01 PM

It is ya chain making ya bike do that so dont stress. But they all move around a bit on the centre stand when slowing down.

If you dont have a chain tool then the cheapest way to get a chain is to buy a chain and use a clip style master link. Then ride it down to your local bike shop hand them over a six pack of crownies and they will fit a rivet link for you.

As for sprockets I use JT. I pay $40 for front and $70 for rear.

As for chain I normally use DID which I get for $200, but a few guys in the local Perth bike forums recomend this Aussie store http://www.ftpstunts.com/store.html $89 is pretty good. They only sell 130 links so you'll have to remove the other 16 linkswith a grinder or a tool.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:06 AM

Hi Trips, that looks a pretty good deal for $89. The guy at the bike shop quoted around $250 for the top of the range chain he gets, can't remember the brand. His bottom of the range chain is made by Stihl (the chainsaw mob)... he rekons they are pretty good for what they are at $130. Rear sprocket was around $50 and front $25, not sure what brand and labour about $75.

Well I made it back fine from my little ride... 280km all up. Was pretty good. First long run on the CBRF. Got a vibration between 3-4000rpm which got annoying after 30 minutes... hands kept going to sleep! I wonder if that has anything to do with the chain and the vibrations I noticed spinning the wheel on the centrestand!

I met up with some old mates from my old bike club, then rode back with them to the rally with them, was good to ride in a group again... been a good 6 years since I last rode in a group. My old mate commented that the chain wasn't bouncing aroundvery much either.

Oh well, I'll organise the new chain and sprockets this week and report on the changes then. Thanks for the reply guys.

Old 03-03-2007, 04:56 PM

Hi trips you mentioned you buy your sprockets for $40 and $ 70 from a place called JT, where is that or what does it stand for please and even a contact number or web site ??

Funny thing with my old girl I bought a new chain in August last year I thought it was a bit expensive being $ 270 fitted BUT I have done approx 17,374 Kls since and have never had to adjust it ( I know thats had to believe ). I have checked it every trip and of coursse sprayed it every trip with the FUCHS chain spray. I know my figures are correct as I keep a detailed record in Excel, when ever I do anything to her.

It must be a quality chain is all I can say but then again I don't do wheel stands and take off very reasonable, BUT give it a mouthful to on the open road, and do a fair bit of hyway use, I remember many years ago when I was younger a chain on my old Z 900 would only last 4 to 5,000 Kls, so whats your thoughts on a chain life ???

Wazza

[IMG]local://upfiles/7739/AADA581E69D14EE2A183E9D707F486C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2007, 06:26 PM

The brand of the sprockets is called JT. I get them from total motorcycle accessories in Perth, but they are sold everywhere. Ya dealer should be able to order them in.

I generally get 10-15000 on chains. I flog the crap out of the bike with plenty of hard accelleration and hi top end speeds but I am very pedantic about maintenance. Every 300ks it gets oiled and every 600k's it gets cleaned.