General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Chain and Sprocket

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
For the majority of riders, the stock set-up is the way to go.
The 2%-ers are really the only ones who can take advantage of the low-end
torque of the -1/+1 (or+2). Steel sprockets are the way to go on the street.
Trackers are the only ones, that worry about the weight and can afford the more-
frequent replacement. As far as the whole 520-525-530 argument...drop the money
on the cheapest size in the make/model that you are looking at. The 520 used to be
a "performance' up-grade, but any more, they are the prevalent/cheaper standard.

All of the major players turn out a quality product, so that's not an issue, really.

Good luck, Ern

How about a +1, -3 set up? whats your opinion on that?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by highercal
How about a +1, -3 set up? whats your opinion on that?
thats just crazy talking

Old 12-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...What would the community recommend for longevity? I want to keep the stock gearing on my bike but i want something that's reliable and sturdy. Any suggestions?
D.I.D & RK are factory Honda OEM suppliers. However, there are other quality choices on the market as well. Take a look at Sprocket Center for package deals (sprockets & chain). Many of us here have had good service from sprocketcenter. Also, a few months ago, RK was offering CBRForum members discounts on chain/sprockets. Be sure to check them out as well.

+1 to MadHattr059's comments. You'll get more mileage out of steel sprockets as well, all things being equal.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
D.I.D & RK are factory Honda OEM suppliers. However, there are other quality choices on the market as well. Take a look at Sprocket Center for package deals (sprockets & chain). Many of us here have had good service from sprocketcenter. Also, a few months ago, RK was offering CBRForum members discounts on chain/sprockets. Be sure to check them out as well.

+1 to MadHattr059's comments. You'll get more mileage out of steel sprockets as well, all things being equal.
:icon_ woot:: icon_woot:

this is awesome. What your opinion on superlite steel sprokets?
this is my first time yet alone first time replacing sprokets/chain so i want to get the best STOCK option for my bike.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 AM

Supersprox FTW

Old 12-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

...What your opinion on superlite steel sprokets?
this is my first time yet alone first time replacing sprokets/chain so i want to get the best STOCK option for my bike.

Thanks!
Any of the already mentioned are good choices. Additionally, factory Honda oem steel sprockets, DriveSystems, Driven, Sunstar, AFAM, are all good choices.

Sprocketcenter carries the Superlite you asked about & is a good choice. Additionally, they carry the AFAM, Supersprox, RK, & DriveSystems sprockets.

You'll typically get a better deal when you purchase a kit w/ sprockets & chain.

I'm partial to D.I.D gold & RK gold chains. They have tried & true reliability & are long wearing if maintained properly, including cleanliness/proper tension/good sprockets. As far as sprockets go, as previously mentioned, any of the mainstream steel sprockets above are reliable as well.

Do you have a chain installation kit? If not, I can recommend the Stanton Tool Company - Chain Breaker & Rivet Tool Kit. A couple of yrs back, my old tool finally gave out & I needed a new kit. I purchased the MotionPro but it broke on the first use. I'd purchased it from CycleGear & they were happy to replace it. I chose the Stanton chain tool kit & its been working great ever since. I have several changes on it now & it still works like new.

Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
Any of the already mentioned are good choices. Additionally, factory Honda oem steel sprockets, DriveSystems, Driven, Sunstar, AFAM, are all good choices.

Sprocketcenter carries the Superlite you asked about & is a good choice. Additionally, they carry the AFAM, Supersprox, RK, & DriveSystems sprockets.

You'll typically get a better deal when you purchase a kit w/ sprockets & chain.

I'm partial to D.I.D gold & RK gold chains. They have tried & true reliability & are long wearing if maintained properly, including cleanliness/proper tension/good sprockets. As far as sprockets go, as previously mentioned, any of the mainstream steel sprockets above are reliable as well.

Do you have a chain installation kit? If not, I can recommend the Stanton Tool Company - Chain Breaker & Rivet Tool Kit. A couple of yrs back, my old tool finally gave out & I needed a new kit. I purchased the MotionPro but it broke on the first use. I'd purchased it from CycleGear & they were happy to replace it. I chose the Stanton chain tool kit & its been working great ever since. I have several changes on it now & it still works like new.
Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure anything that light weight is a positive solution for sprocket replacement. My plan was actually to only change my chain since i have 3 "stuck" links on it. So i decided, why not, lets replace the sprockets they're probably damaged anyways since I rode with the 3 stuck link chain for about 500 miles.

As far as installation, I have a bike mechanic that going to walk/talk me through it. So no worries about the tools since he has everything and I'm always welcomed to his shop to learn/use tools. Thanks for all your advice!
I'll be sure to keep you guys updated on what i go with and how they come out.

Thanks once again!

Old 12-09-2011, 11:22 AM

Just remember 1 tooth in the front is equal to 2.5-3 in the rear. Just a good rule of thumb that may help you out...