General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Remove Stem from Lower Triple?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Stem from Lower Triple?

How do I remove the stem from the lower triple? I need to get it out so I can do some machining and have it powder coated. I tried hitting it with a big rubber mallet to knock it through and that did nothing. I then put it in a press and it didn't budge either. What am I missing?

See attached picture.

Attached Thumbnails Remove Stem from Lower Triple?-img_0608.jpg  
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM

Never mind, I got it out. I was just being so timid with it (not wanting to put a whole lot of force on it).

To anyone who wonders in the future, the stem presses out from the top. Make sure you support the center of the triple so it does not flex/bend. Put a peach of wood or aluminum on the top of the stem to protect it. Then just slowly press it out the bottom.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:41 AM

Thanks for the advice on how to press the stem out! Was/is there a slot in the stem for the steering lock? I assume there is one and did you mark the stem and triple to make sure it goes back in the same position otherwise the lock won't line up?

Originally Posted by segraves1
Never mind, I got it out. I was just being so timid with it (not wanting to put a whole lot of force on it).

To anyone who wonders in the future, the stem presses out from the top. Make sure you support the center of the triple so it does not flex/bend. Put a peach of wood or aluminum on the top of the stem to protect it. Then just slowly press it out the bottom.

Old 07-18-2011, 02:33 PM

I'm using a GSXR750 triple and forks which doesn't look like it has a steering lock. The only slot that I see that is cut in the stem is up in the threads for the locking washer that locked the stem nuts.