General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prepping for ICE riding

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen a few Ice Bikes (Dirt Style) up for grabs up here in Maine on CL Chuckbear
nothing grabbed me though........liked Br or Zed....which I found to be a benchmark

Last edited by Sprock; 12-16-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess the lack of ice her in chilly florida has led to a fear of the unknown.... those videos were so cool, i want to try it...can i barrow someones bike?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:08 PM

good luck with the build... looks like it can be a ton of fun if the bike is set up properly

Old 12-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Talking It will happen this year!

chuckbear, uh, not really. I may have given that impression but a CBR600F3 with an XR250 suspension setup on it was kinda side stepping saying what was really the plan because it's pretty effed up. We were going to go with XR forks and a 17" SM style wheel and brake and a GPz600R swingarm offset to the right of the chassis with 16" wheel with dirtbike knobbies and Kold Kutter Kanadian Ice Racing Screws. The idea was to build a flat tracker from hell. Rear sprocket 55T and a front at 15T. Since 2nd gear was toast we figured on using 3rd through 5th for the oval. But that isn't happening this year. Kinda sucks. But there is other hope to be had!

I got ahold of an old riding buddy and he seems down for this! So, since one is done and the next is to follow, here is this years plan. Zed can't get fixed in time so my friend Dylan is swooping in to the rescue with his 2007 GSXR1000!

Ice spikes and some frame sliders and this will be on the lake in a month or so,
Name:  l_ffd2eb569fe640c3afad631e3e822492.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  51.0 KB

And we already have a guy on Kold Kutter 1/4" studs with a 2005 GSXR600! He is ready at this very moment! And he has a GoPro! So there will be footage to come very soon!

A few pics of Dylan last year on the CBR, first time on the ice, and on a CBR none the less!
Name:  l_1b2e7c4dc16a4db29f2e574a2b7320dc.png
Views: 14
Size:  140.7 KB
Name:  l_0ecbc7e3b4684fcfa85486f8a34f3c4c.png
Size:  89.6 KB
Name:  l_20d009c30df541e7879264fb5fa82bcf.png
Views: 13
Size:  79.3 KB
Name:  l_236bfbc709374cbaab8ebcb83d831d66.png
Size:  86.8 KB

And my bro (the one that studded the CBR in the first place and made this all happen, I just documented and helped out where I could) and Dylan (GSXR1000 Guy) at the end of a hard day of riding in Wisconsin in the middle of Feb.
Name:  l_2fdc7ffbb6504a28a8fc36901a57924a.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  19.5 KB

Were going to get things prepared fully and enter into this with experience this year, we're sure it will only get better! A pair of GSXR's on the lake with rather talented riders will be a sight to see! Every moment will be documented fully and I'm going to do an install writeup for the spikes with plenty of pictures!

CBRonICE

Edit* Thanks Sprock, it means alot to see your enthusiasm and intentions of a build such as an ice bike. Really touches my heart to see that Bee*R and Zed are a benchmark for you. Totally kick a$$ man!

Last edited by CBRonICE; 12-18-2009 at 01:03 PM. Reason: had to thank Sprock
Old 12-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Sounds like fun ... but no need to be so defensive. Daf asked for opinions and he got opinions. Nobody was rude. Seems the concensus is that it would be fun as heck as long as it was on someone else's street bike. I'd agree with that

I do have a question though. Is the street bike ice racing a separate thing or do you race against the converted dirt bikes also? How do the times on the street bikes compare with the dirt bikes?

Old 12-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Oh, almost forgot, I've backed in a 305hp Busa in the twisties so I call your ice adventures a silly thing Still sounds like a lot of fun though ... we just don't have any iced over anything here in GA though

Old 12-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Oh, almost forgot, I've backed in a 305hp Busa in the twisties so I call your ice adventures a silly thing Still sounds like a lot of fun though ... we just don't have any iced over anything here in GA though
Lol ya that's the other hitch for me: Where?

I mean if the Delaware river froze over enough to safely do this, the mafia would have to find a new dumping ground. Can't have all the bodies floatin up once a year

Old 12-18-2009, 07:15 PM

same daf from CH?

Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Sounds like fun ... but no need to be so defensive. Daf asked for opinions and he got opinions. Nobody was rude. Seems the concensus is that it would be fun as heck as long as it was on someone else's street bike. I'd agree with that

I do have a question though. Is the street bike ice racing a separate thing or do you race against the converted dirt bikes also? How do the times on the street bikes compare with the dirt bikes?
First off, it's sportbike "training" there is no racing about it, if you had read the full and entire posts I made it may have become clear, or you read them and didn't get it. Either way, it's to feel a sportbike on the sheer limit without the snap reactions of the chassis on dry asphalt. As for how they stack up against dirtbikes, we are not sure, but we do know there is no restrictions on sportbikes competing against dirtbikes on ice.

As for using someone elses bike, what pipe are you people smoking? Wouldn't you want to experience your OWN bike on the limit? How would riding a 99 YZF600R teach you about your 600F4i? Or for that matter, back to one of my points before, how does a dirtbike teach you how a sportbike behaves?

On the subject of ice riding being silly... I'm not sure how to respond to that at all without totally burning my welcome here at the forum, so, I won't say anything at all.

I've been riding long enough to know more about it than 99% of the people I encounter with motorcycles. I see people glaze over and just nod ALOT when I talk about motorcycle physics and the way certain behaviors "feel" from specific chassis. I've been on dirtbikes and streetbikes and there is not much that transfers back and forth in riding style and approach.

And just for the record, you don't know me, I don't know you, and I've been through the mud with this sportbikes on ice stuff and there is more reason than you can imagine for me to be defensive, and from your standpoint, there is good reason you have no clue why I am getting defensive. It's just a diffrence we have, you have an opinion and I have experience, I feel I know more about this than anyone just saying "why not a dirtbike?" "you will fall down" "maybie on someone elses bike". So my defencive attitude comes from alot of people with opinions trying to "inject" reality into what is already my reality.

Like I said, I'll report back with even more video and eventually this may take off and become something people accept as a form of motorsport. Anyone old enough to remember King Kenny's TZ700 flat tracker? They said that wasn't going to work too, but look who was winning when dirtbike varients were supposedly the best!

CBRonICE

Old 12-18-2009, 08:22 PM

CBRonICE:
I can't speak for chain or anyone else. But I can speak for myself and what I believe.

To many of the people here, definitely for myself, our bikes aren't vehicles. They're not tools or instruments to ride. Well they may have started out as one of those. But they became something more. They're expressions and parts of ourselves. There's someone here that may have lost their F4i in a wreck that he's had for 177k miles. We've put hours of sweat and frustration (and sometimes blood) into voicing something inside ourselves through our bikes. How they look, how we ride them, where we go on them. So for many of us, yes it is completely unthinkable to take our specific bike and do the modifications necessary to it to attempt your sport. If I could rent a pre-made ice bike somewhere, I might give it a go (my unabiding hatred of all climates cold may interfere ). But I could not begin to fathom doing so on my F3.

That doesn't mean I think less of your experiences, knowledge or sport in general (except it'd be fecking cold ). Some did say it prolly wouldn't end good. You proved them wrong. And nobody here slammed you or the sport in general. Especially not after seeing your videos of it. I'd imagine that having to constantly prove that ice riding on a sport bike is not only viable but also fun grates you constantly. But I think you'll find that short of riding in a patently dangerous manner (sans gear is a biggie), the people here will generally accept anything you choose to do on your bike. They will wish you luck when you need it, offer suggestions when they can, rib you a little (prolly when you least want it but most need it) and try to be a bud.

So chillax a little. It's all good

Quick Reply: Prepping for ICE riding