General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prep for tank pad

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prep for tank pad

lets be honest, no one looks at the detailing section at the bottom of the list of forums. So I put it here.

When I bought my bike, the guy had a STICKER for a tank pad. 86 that. I bought a cheap tank pad to replace it. Peeled sticker off, wiped with damp paper towel and stuck new pad on. It was nice for a few hours, then I couldn't get the edges to stick ever again.

I just bought a nicer tank pad. I want it to stick. I'm not sure if the PO waxed it or not. Regardless, how do I get this tank ready to accept my new tank pad? What is good/bad for the paint? we have goo gone, can I use that to get residue off the tank from the old pad? or will that eff my paint?

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 AM

I wouldn't use goo gone. Windex works great for removing adhesive residue and it also does a good job of prepping surfaces for pad installation. Use a micofiber cloth, so you don't leave lint residue behind.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WD-40 has always worked well for me for removing adhesives. Once it's clean, degrease it with either isopropyl alcohol (91% or more) or non-chlorinated brake cleaner. To promote adhesion, it's best if both the surface you're applying it to and the decal are nice & warm.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Isopropyl alcohol. Very cheap and you can buy it just about anywhere if you don't already have any in your medicine cabinet. Or, get some 3m wax and grease remover. But the alcohol works great and doesn't harm the finish.

Oh yeah, it usually helps if your bike is left in the sun for a bit. Leave the decal out there too. It will conform to the tank easier and give the adhesive backing more time to set without the decal pulling back on it.

It also never hurt to run some tape lines. One down the center, then offset one to each side of the center just wider than what the decal is. Then remove the center one and you now have a good visual aid to get it centered.

Last edited by justasquid; 05-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by justasquid
Isopropyl alcohol. Very cheap and you can buy it just about anywhere if you don't already have any in your medicine cabinet. Or, get some 3m wax and grease remover. But the alcohol works great and doesn't harm the finish.

Oh yeah, it usually helps if your bike is left in the sun for a bit. Leave the decal out there too. It will conform to the tank easier and give the adhesive backing more time to set without the decal pulling back on it.

It also never hurt to run some tape lines. One down the center, then offset one to each side of the center just wider than what the decal is. Then remove the center one and you now have a good visual aid to get it centered.

X2