F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Rain Prep

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain Prep

Guys/Gals who ride full time, or almost full time: What are you doing to prepare the bike for rainy days? (If anything)

Thanks,

Ray

Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ride rain or shine and for the bike preps there isn't much to prepare just make sure tire pressure is good and take things slower.
As for yourself, I have a different set of gloves for rain so I dont get my good ones wet as I hate the feel of gloves after they dry.
Full rain suit I have a old pair of my snowboarding pants that are just a waterproof shell which works wonders for keeping my pants dry and I have and have a spare armoured waterproof jacket (also has a downfilled liner for Nov-Dec riding).
And a Good pair of waterproof boots if you wear shoes make sure you have a spare set to put on at your destination as well as a new pair of socks.
As for your helmet close all vents on it and if it starts to fog up just click it up one notch and it will clear the visor without getting tons of water in your face. And if your visor gets covered in water if your going a good speed you can turn your head to the sides and the wind will blow all the rain off so you don't have to wipe it.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RayBos
Guys/Gals who ride full time, or almost full time: What are you doing to prepare the bike for rainy days? (If anything)
Ray, you'll want to make sure your chain is lubed/waxed & properly tensioned of course. A double-bubble windscreen works wonders deflecting rain/wind as well.

Good points made by Jeff.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Riding in rain is a bad idea with F4i's [or hondas in general? Haven't checked my RR to be honest] as none of the electrical connections are weatherproof for some absurd reason. People have had issues with things shorting out here in AZ where theres no humidity to speak of so I can only imagine how bad it must be where it rains alot.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Default slick

Great tips so far. One thing that I would point out from my personal experience is that any sort of paint or abnormalities in the road become slick as ice!! Crosswalks, center lines, and tire snakes can all become problem areas. Try not to turn on a crosswalk or start on one, because that is how I almost high-sided my bike on day 2 of owning it.

Just take it slower and be fearful or everything and anyone around you. Lasty, dont follow a semi truck because the spray they kick up is almost blinding.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:14 PM

Be very careful on rubber railroad crossings, just go straight on them if you turn the tires will slide right out.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just after it starts raining (espedially after a dry spell) is the slickest time. All of the oils, anti-freeze, etc. are floating out of the pores of the road and haven't been wash off yet.

Do not ride in the center of a lane, this is where the engines of cars and trucks mostly do their drips and leaks.

A pair of latex gloves as liners and those funky pull-over galoshes your mom's got, are handy in the bottom of the saddle bags for those suspect days.

A tip if you ever get caught unexpected, grab the trash liner from a road-side stop and turn smelly-side out as a poncho. I know, eww!, but that next 100 miles will be a lot warmer (and the farther you go, the better you smell, lol).

Or just keep one of those, in your bags, for a just-in-caser. Preferably clean, this time.

Ern

Old 07-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Riding in rain is a bad idea with F4i's [or hondas in general? Haven't checked my RR to be honest] as none of the electrical connections are weatherproof for some absurd reason...
Motorcycles are designed to be ridden in rain or shine, like cars. I've ridden in rain for years w/o problems, from one side of the country to the other. I've ridden in monsoon season in southern AZ on a Honda & it ran like a champ during some of the heaviest rains you've ever seen! I'll ride my Hondas (& other bikes) in rain any day w/o worries.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 AM

i have nelson riggs saddle bags on my f4i. In one of them I carry a set of FroggToggs (Jacket and pants), a set of waterproof boot covers, and a spare set of gloves.

For my helmet I keep it rain x on the outside and rain x anti fog on the inside.

I always stay dry!

Old 07-09-2011, 12:36 PM

I have owned 3 Honda sport bikes. I have ridden all 3 in the rain. I don't do anything different/special. I have never had an electrical problem, but it does make a mess of your chain. You'd be surprised how fast you dry off and how little you actually get rained on while moving. Stop lights suck though!

Quick Reply: Rain Prep