General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PowerCommander IIIr and Palm Pilot

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PowerCommander IIIr and Palm Pilot

I have a Handspring Neo Visor lying around doing nothing that I'd like to use to tune the bike with. I'm not sure what version of the Palm OS is uses, but I think it's either 3.x or 4.x. Anyways, Handspring is no longer in business and I believe Palm is supporting their products. Anyone know what cables and software I would need to interface this with my Powercommander. I read about doing that a couple of years ago, but didn't have the bike to try it on.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Default RE: PowerCommander IIIr and Palm Pilot

Wow, 39 hits and no replies. Do I really ask hard questions?

Old 07-11-2006, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I consider myself geekier than most and I didn't have a clue when I first read this. It appears that you need part number DS189146, which just looks like a DB9 M-M connector (from a distance), but you can never tell how the wires are run internally. They're $9 here. That's for the cabling. For the software, I have no idea, but a Google of "Palm Pilot" "Power Commander" brought up a bunch of hits including a manual from the PowerCommander web site.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the comment Comet, but I can Google with the best of them. I guess it's my fault that I wasn't specific enough w. my question so perhaps you can answer this:

On the Visor Neo, it doesn't have a serial port. It sits in a cradle which is sync'd to the PC via USB. Support for my device is just about dead, so I cannot find much documentation.

As fari as the serial goes, I guess I can buy something like this.

Has anyone tried to tune their bike using a Palm, or even taken their laptops with them for roadside adjustments?? How practical is this? I only have a butt dyno for now, and don't have much to compare unless I ask my bud to ride his F4i. I'd like the low end throttle response to be quicker.

Old 07-11-2006, 10:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're going to need both the serial cradle and the connector I listed below if you want to use your Handspring. I just dug out my old Palm IIIc since I didn't remember, and the cradle is a 9 pin serial, similar to your e-bay item. The Palm software is a free download, and the manual guides you through its use.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Care to give it a shot and let me know your results? Let me know if I would need to put the sync software back on my puter. I'm doubtful of that considering that I'm now using Windows Mobile 5 on my Pocket PC MDA. I don't want any conflicts. Boy it would be nice if I could somehow load the Powercommander software on the PPC. I carry it everywhere I go and I've got 2GB of memory on my miniSD card.

Old 07-11-2006, 02:56 PM

Dyno Jet's FAQ says it's a 9 pin straight through cable to go serial to serial. I have another PC I could load the PowerCommander software onto. Then what??