General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POWER Difference of 600cc and 1000+cc?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default POWER Difference of 600cc and 1000+cc?

Hey everyone,

Well I have been reading on the forums for about a month now and thought of a question I am sure others have wondered and I havent seen in depth conversation on.

I used to own a 89 cbr 600 over 6 years ago and havent been riding much since. I really liked my cbr 600 but remember always wanting more power, bigger bike....
I have a couple buddys one owned a GSXR 600 moviestar edition, the other a 99 cbr f4. Neither of them still have their bikes but swear by the 600cc class and said they would buy another 600cc in a second. Well I bought myself a 05' CBR600rr a couple weeks ago and plan to trick it up before I even bring it home somtime in May and am really looking forward to riding again! However I keep asking myself if I am going to be dissapointed and want more once I get comfortable on it? I don't plan really to take it to a track and race or anything but to ride to work and go out on the nice evenings with a couple of my buddys, one who rides a 2004 GSX1300R the other a 2004 ZX-12, have some fun on the twisty's and open her up on the straight aways (which are plenty where I live, with little to no traffic) Also keep in mind I love acceleration and speed but wouldn't want to cross speeds over say 260kms. I have looked at the 1/4 mile times of the 600RR and 1000RR's and by people who know how to run them right get only like 2 sec difference. Which to me doesnt seem like much for everyday riding of coarse. I have also posted this in the cbr600rr forum but its really open to all with both class bikes, or people with experience on both class bikes for responses! Are my buddys bikes going to just blow by me like crazy? Is there insane power differences between these bikes? I mean the I keep the power to weight ratio in mind I know they have 30-35 more HP but they also weigh more. Another difference I have though about due to conversations with another buddy that races both 600 and 900 cbr is he mentioned you can really drive hard on the 600 out of corners, on straight aways, but on the bigger bike he really has to be careful when coming out of a corner or laying on the throttle to hard or you can quickly end up in trouble, he aslo prefered the 600, for racing though.... Also the insurance was quite a bit cheaper for the 600 over the 1000, along with the bike of coarse.

So from the guys who have had the experience whats the real deal?

Old 03-18-2006, 12:52 AM
Default RE: POWER Difference of 600cc and 1000+cc?

I just like the instant POWER!

Old 03-18-2006, 10:11 AM

2 secs is a big gap when your traveling at 120 mph,

Old 03-18-2006, 01:15 PM

The big difference is the amount of torque and when it's delivered.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own both the 05 600RR and the 06 1000RR. The difference in power that the 1000RR has and where you feel it is amazing. The 1000 delivers its power and torque at lower RPM's then the 600 does and it keeps on pulling. Wheelies are a breeze in fact they are so easy I have to remind myself to take it easy on the throttle. Since it is new and only has about 30 miles on it I haven’t had it over 9000RPM so I’m not sure how it feels beyond that. Also keep that in mind since my experience on the 1000RR is limited although I did put about 4500 miles on the 600 in about 8 months of riding and that’s not to bad considering Ohio weather.

In regards to power that the 1000RR has over the 600RR I also have not done any mods like disabling the intake flapper system or add a Power Commander. Because of the lower RPM power that the 1000RR produces riders have to be really careful when accelerating out of a turn. On the 600 I was getting good enough to apply power when exiting a turn that I could control the slide since the power was a lot easier to read and control. My power slides are not nearly as graceful as Rossi, or Hayden but the 600RR is tame enough to learn to steer with the rear. I don't dare try that on the 1000 until I get a better feel for all it has to offer which I anticipate will be many months. The reason I bought the 1000RR, as stupid as it sounds, is that I wanted a bike that could wheelie easier on the straits and out of turns, when I get good enough to wheelie when exiting a turn. I also knew I was going to keep the 600 for my wife to ride and didn't see any sense in owning two 600's. Once my daughter starts riding and learns everything she can on a bike like a Ninja EX250 or Buell Blast, the plan is for all of us to move on up, my wife getting the 1000RR and me buying the latest and greatest Honda liter bike or what ever the AMA is running in the Superbike class. Hopefully it will have the V5 engine everyone is waiting for

Old 03-19-2006, 01:11 AM

I had an '06 F4i and put 2200 miles on it during the winter and all the cold weather. I just traded it in on an '06 1000RR and to me the difference is night and day and I haven't even lit it up yet because of the break-in period. But as slowpoke said, it's the torque and how soon it's delivered. I can feel the 1000 putting out the torque at lower RPM's where I would have to get up to the 9k range on the F4i. Top end will be different as well.

I didn't think I would want more than the F4i, because it was my 2nd bike and just for fun.... but now I want more fun!

Old 03-19-2006, 12:23 PM

I had the same dilema....glad i went with the 1000....the low end grunt is exceptional and like someone said...it keeps on pulling in any gear right up to redline.....for me the low RPMs is where its at. I never liked having to wind it out all up in the RPM;s to get power(also why i always had big-bore 4-stroke dirt bikes and no 2-strokes)... Almost bought an RC because of this...hopefully they will change the styling soon, or at least the color, and ill pick one up as a second bike when they do

If you go with the 600 there's a slight chance of dissapointment after riding it for awhile....no chance with the 1000....Just because you've got power doesnt mean you have to wind it out everytime, but its nice to have it when you want/need it..

my $0.02....btw, Im not knocking 600's by any means, it just wasnt my cup of tea!

Old 03-20-2006, 12:53 AM

Only 2 seconds is a huge differance.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:26 AM

I ride long rides (250-300 mile day ride) with a buddy on a 600RR - we ride with guys riding a 750 Gixxer, a RC51, a 954RR, a couple of R1's, a 996 & a 999S, and another 1000RR - I have a '05 1000RR. My friend on the 600RR has absolutely no trouble keeping up with us. Why? He has the most God given natural ability; he is a small guy and the bigger bikes are too big for his stature; he has about 8-10 more years of racing experience over the next person. Even though there are four other who Edurance Race together... and two of us out of that group ride year round. I personally ride about 12,000 miles a year (street riding since '83). This is to say, a very experienced group of riders. Yet, he keeps wheel to wheel with any of us. He almosts rides it like someone might ride a mtn bike. Just throws the b!tch in there; lets it slide about; does cross-ups going over the crests of hills/humpbacked bridges, etc. Drifts both ends entering & exiting corners. Amazing!

I measure my riding ability by this guy's level. The first time I rode literally wheel-to-wheel with this guy over a 275 mile mtn pass strewen ride, I knew I had the goods. I trust this guy with my life - there are only 2 other riders that I can say that about. We will ride front tire to back tire with no room to spare between us. That takes incredible trust and synchronicity. I on my 1000, and he on his 600. It's a buzz & a priveledge to be able to experience that state of nirvana with another rider.

The style of riding a 600RR is VERY different than riding a litre bike. Doesn't make one right or wrong; better or worse. Merely different. I am a medium-bigger build guy, therefore I like the fit of my 1000. I like the fact that its power making style has two distinct traits: 1) you short shift it and ride the torque... allowing a choice of a couple of gears for any given corner. 2) Keep the rpm's up... shifting when the shift light is yelling at me. Both are fun. I'm really not sure if one is actually faster than the other (it's amazing how fast one can be when all you think about is the road, the bike almost evaporates from your conscienceness).

Trust me, you will love your new 600RR. If you learn to ride it well you will not need to worry about keeping up with others. They might have to worry about you leaving them in the corners. Do yourself a HUGE favour: do track days, and riding schools as much as your time/money allows. Make it a priority over accessories to your bike. Do at least two a year... more if you can. That is where you will find your 'fast'. Good luck, and congratulations on your new baby.

Cheers

Old 03-20-2006, 07:59 AM

ORIGINAL: transamlt1man

Only 2 seconds is a huge differance.
+1......the first guy will be in the winners circle sucking face and rounding 2nd base with the trophey girl having already drank 3/4 of the champagne magnum before the 600 crosses the line.....[sm=happy046.gif]

Quick Reply: POWER Difference of 600cc and 1000+cc?