General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Help, Dont know where to Turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, Dont know where to Turn

Heres the embarassing story. I basically bought a Honda 600 CBR 2007 in Oct. Third Day had to lay it down. Insurance called that day before i went out to ride to drop me. The bike went down pretty hard with some scratches. The shifter lever broke. Then the real bad part the Stator Cover broke right in the middle sending the Stator flying. It was dark but I managed to find the peice my brothers house was only a half block away.

I picked the bike up, it started and drove it over there. My knee got mashed along with a dislocated wrist and some road rash. All is healed on me but not my bike. When the Stator broke it took a peice of the block near the bottom where one of the screws goes off and i was not able to recover the chipped peice. I have the stator. I was wondering if some kind of Hill billy engineering can stop me from having a leak once I buy the cover. Im very familar with cars, I work for Ford Racing but im not familar with bikes at all.

My buddy thinks we can just use some gasket sealent. I've seen other claim they have found the peice and had it welded back, but I dont have the peice. I love the bike and enjoy riding so much. Its like the thing I am looking forward to all summer long and I just have found myself in a bind expecially after dumping all that money into the bike and I really dont have alot of money.The 70 or 80 bucks just for the cover is really pinching my pennies right now, embarassing as well.

Thanks for the time and effort in advance to any advice or solution

Adam

Old 04-28-2009, 12:54 AM

Post up a picture of the case. Any chance of walking the area where the accident happened and recovering the piece?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to work and have one of the welders tig-weld the whole area then drill and tap the hole using the new cover as a template, which you can find on ebay or in the clasifieds for pretty cheap. Same for the shifter. Good luck.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:26 PM

No chance of recovering peice, it happened in oct. Dont have a tig welder at work. Starting to sound expensive....Any other suggestions?

Old 04-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by AdamsBrokeCBR
Heres the embarassing story. I basically bought a Honda 600 CBR 2007 in Oct. Third Day had to lay it down. Insurance called that day before i went out to ride to drop me. The bike went down pretty hard with some scratches. The shifter lever broke. Then the real bad part the Stator Cover broke right in the middle sending the Stator flying. It was dark but I managed to find the peice my brothers house was only a half block away.

I picked the bike up, it started and drove it over there. My knee got mashed along with a dislocated wrist and some road rash. All is healed on me but not my bike. When the Stator broke it took a peice of the block near the bottom where one of the screws goes off and i was not able to recover the chipped peice. I have the stator. I was wondering if some kind of Hill billy engineering can stop me from having a leak once I buy the cover. Im very familar with cars, I work for Ford Racing but im not familar with bikes at all.

My buddy thinks we can just use some gasket sealent. I've seen other claim they have found the peice and had it welded back, but I dont have the peice. I love the bike and enjoy riding so much. Its like the thing I am looking forward to all summer long and I just have found myself in a bind expecially after dumping all that money into the bike and I really dont have alot of money.The 70 or 80 bucks just for the cover is really pinching my pennies right now, embarassing as well.

Thanks for the time and effort in advance to any advice or solution

Adam
I once made a part of the engine case on a FZR600 out of JB Weld. It worked great.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You work ford the ford racing division and they dont have a tig welder? A mig will work too as long as its set up to weld aluminum. (right filler material, gas) JB weld will work...for a minute, that sh*t ain't permanent.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
You work ford the ford racing division and they dont have a tig welder? A mig will work too as long as its set up to weld aluminum. (right filler material, gas) JB weld will work...for a minute, that sh*t ain't permanent.

Yeah really, Ford Racing doesnt have a TIG? I work at a two bit POS of a shop and we have a TIG and MIG.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by skoobydoobie
JB weld will work...for a minute, that sh*t ain't permanent.
It held for longer than 6 months, and this was part of the crank case, oil, heat etc.

I sold the bike before I had a chance to see how long it would hold.

I know it sounds incredible, but I sh*t you not.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:48 PM

i used a high temp sealant i found at kragens

Old 04-29-2009, 04:26 PM

I work at the distributing center at Ford Racing. Not at the shop where the parts are assembled. Any part that comes in or out of there I have my finger on in one way or another.

Ive never welded anything before. How expesive and how coherent do you need to be to use JB weld? Think im going to go for the High Heat sealent first.

Quick Reply: Please Help, Dont know where to Turn