General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic repair/welding

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic repair/welding

I read through the posts about how the repairs were made by getting a plastic repair kit from a automotive supply store, but just how well have these repairs help up? Did the cracks come back? Has anyone sent the fairings/plastic out to be repaired? Expensive? Worth it?

Old 08-19-2006, 01:45 AM
Default RE: Plastic repair/welding

I had some welding done, if the guy knows what he is doing, it will look like it was always factory. My guy just laid a pice of ABS on the back of the crack *inside the fairing*. And molded it in, how ever they do it. Its bitch'n. For serious ****...replace it.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:56 AM

I am looking at a bike that had a driveway laydown. The kid go this drop dead mint low mile F4 and in two weeks dropped it in the driveway. It punched out the turn signals and put a crack in both lowers, near the rear edge. Plus it also has the usual scratches in the fairing it didn't have until he dropped it twice, like also the left dyno cover. I have a chance to buy an other wise, mint bike. But........ I have to weigh in the cost of repairs to determine if it is a worthwhile buy or a pass.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:06 AM

Lets put it this way, I got hit at 30mph on my 2 month old 06 rr. Tank cover was trashed. Both front blinkers blew out. the guy patched up the light bucket, i had to replace the tank cover and the left fairing. The right had a crack in the side, and a tab missing. The belly pan had one tab broken off, it was repaied. it fits tight, looks good!!!! but I got a smoking deal cause my Brother owns the ducati shop that employs the guy 8)~

For cuctom red bull paint / decal job and welding, normal GOOD job w/ paint and welding is like 2k-3k. Its Welding can go for up to 70$ an inch at some places.

Its usualy cheaper to repair then to replace. For all my fairings from honda, it was 3,445.** and change. I went on ebay, got the tank cover and side faiging from 'Allpowersports' in Las Vegas, NV. Cost me $100 w/ shipping, parts were mint. Also, the air box cover was cracked, I picked that up for 30$ at honda it was 75$ just for the top

So, if you can get a deal, an not HAVE to plastic weld, i would replace it.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:45 PM

Well, I am able to get this 1999 yellow F4 for at least $1500, maybe a little less. There is the plastic issue, plus broken turn signals and shifter and skid marks on the Two Brothers muffler and dyno cover. Bike is just shy of 6000 mile. Has new tires and needs a new battery. Would you consider this a good deal?

Old 08-19-2006, 05:22 PM

Are you able to post pics of this bike? Sounds like a steal to me. You should go for it.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:43 PM

I don't have possession of the bike, but it appears to me to be very typical of a driveway type of body damage. I am trying to do the math to figure the expense of bringing it back to what would be my standard (new) of condition so that I can tell what the price of the final outcome would be. It is so easy to get in over your head in expenses, just to find out you could have bought a cherry one without the headaches. I am serious though, this bike was perfect, until he had it. I came home and told the wife what a perfect bike it was, that I hoped I could find one just like this one. When he dumped it, I was just sick. He never rode a bike before this. He may have put 100 miles on it. But, he dropped it on the first ride.