CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Plastic welding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic welding?

Hi, how many people here have tried and done plastic welding to there fairings? I have one really broken bit, which I'm going to try this on first to see if it works and how strong it is. Before I buy a new bit. And if you did it what did you try? There is a load of video's on YouTube with different ways from using old ABS plastic and solvent cerment to make a paste, to using ABS as a welding material with heat. So I'm open to your input here.

Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used my old junk soldering iron to melt fairings back together for years. Most of the time I just melt it back together then on the back side fiber glass to reinforce it. Then use a little body filler on the fount. Then sand and paint it again. Hold up great but if it does drop most of the time it will crack in the same spot over some place new.

Old 10-12-2012, 11:33 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I first used the soldering iron to melt the back of the cowl in a cross hatch way. It lasted a while but ended up cracking after a couple of months. I then just used builders bog(2 part stuff that is pink when mixed), I only used the builders bog because that was what was in my shed. The pink bog is still holding up fine!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:35 AM

Well from what i have seen, i will be using a soldering iron first then I will be using a paste mix and a fibre glass matting on the back to reinforce it then finish the front with flexible filler. there is not much needed, I think its the clock cowl thats the worst so Im doing that one first, then if it works, great, if not, just get a new one!

Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM

I've done what you are describing a number of times - on my 'Cane and on a couple of other bikes. The repairs, while not major structural components, have been in service for several years with no real problems. I used ABS cement from the home supply store, fiberglass cloth and a little window screening for reinforcement. On the front side, I just used the ABS cement to fill in the chips, cracks, and depressions, sanded, primed and painted. The paint wasn't perfect - my skill level showing - but the repair has been fine. I even rebuilt a couple of missing tabs using this approach and they are still there and holding.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:58 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

George P Burdell?

Thought I recognized that name from somewhere in the depths of my memory.

A quick Wiki search confirmed my recollections.

We are indeed privileged to have someone of your stature and fame join us on the Hurricane Forum.

Don't forgot to fill out the "How many old coots ride Hurricanes?" poll. I'm sure you would be a winner.

Top effort mate, like your style.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwi TK
George P Burdell?

Thought I recognized that name from somewhere in the depths of my memory.

A quick Wiki search confirmed my recollections.

We are indeed privileged to have someone of your stature and fame join us on the Hurricane Forum.

Don't forgot to fill out the "How many old coots ride Hurricanes?" poll. I'm sure you would be a winner.

Ha!! George P. Burdell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I wish I'd thought of that - I love it.

Cheers, SB

Old 10-13-2012, 05:13 PM

Did that quite some time ago!!

Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good to see you back GPB.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:20 PM

I do it all the time with success... use a heat gun or get a plastic welder

and buy ABS welding rods.. that's all...

Quick Reply: Plastic welding?