General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patching tire puncture

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching tire puncture

I have Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my F3. I have about 2000 miles into them, and probably 6000 miles left. Annnnd on my rear I got a puncture. D: I can see it, it looks like a rose thorn or something similar went through. It leaks veeerrry slowly, it's my daily driver and I air it up about once a week to maintain recommended pressure.

Anyways, I went to the moto shop here and they said they can't patch it and a new tire is needed. Which I understand since it's a high-speed tire etc. But with it being such a small puncture, are there any other solutions other than a $170 new rear tire?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

I wouldnt risk riding on a repaired tire. The tires are not all that thick. Failure can result in a crash.
I carry a tire plug kit in my bike, because I do some commuting. I had to use it on my rear tire once also. I pulled into a gas station, repaired the tire, filled it with air, and rode on to work. After work, I rode right to a shop and replaced it. I didn't like riding on a plugged tire, but it got me to a new one...

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 PM

I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with demon...I have a Pilot Power 2ct 190/50/17 sitting in my garage with 400 miles on it that has a nail in it. Man it hurts real bad but you gotta get another tire. The only reason I kept the old one it because if I had gotten another nail in another 400 miles I was going to patch the old one, but only because I didn't have enough money for another tire and I don't have a car.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tbow
... I went to the moto shop here and they said they can't patch it and a new tire is needed. Which I understand since it's a high-speed tire etc. But with it being such a small puncture, are there any other solutions other than a $170 new rear tire?
Most every shop will say that. They are liability-conscious. Assuming the puncture is in the main tread area & not the sidewall, then YES you can get it plugged AND patched & you'll be able to get the utility out of your tire.

I had a rear PP2CT that got a puncture in the tread. I had it plugged AND patched & got 8K mi out of it...including track days. I posted pics of said tire in a thread on this very subject we had going some time ago.

While its always preferable to have an undamaged tire, a properly repaired tire will still give good service.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

+1

I've plugged many motorcycle tires with no ill affects.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
+1

I've plugged many motorcycle tires with no ill affects.
And so have I. It is absolutely a waste to toss out a tire with so much life in it. Unless the puncture is in the side wall or is too big (happened to me once), I plug tires. I recommend the plug that has a patch on the end (Black Jack Tire Repair CU-306-8 PATCH PLUG COMBO 1/4 STEM | StockWiseAuto). This repair does require the tire to be removed from the rime. I've had 200 miles on a tire and had to put in a plug. Hec, I've put in 2 plugs without any issues at high speeds. This repair vs. replace argument is like Ford vs. Chevy in my opinion.

If you go to Dunlops site, they say you can plug the tire.
High-Performance Dunlop Motorcycle Tires

Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I agree that it would be safer to replace rather than repair, but I'm in college and tuition is due soon so at the moment replacement just isn't an option. I am new to tire plugging; is there such thing as a kit to fix it without taking the tire off the rim?

Old 07-14-2012, 04:02 AM

Yes, any auto shop has a plug kit. You can but a cheap plastic one or a good metal handle one, they even come w/ about 6 plugs. Very simple to use, just ream the hole real good w/ the reamer, then put the plug through the tool to insert it with, push it in the tire( do it slowly so you do not push it totally into the tire) leave about 1 inch sticking out. When pulling out the tool do it very fast otherwise the plug might come out also. BTW, after you have the plug in the tire dont turn the tool the plug will get twisted, also get a small can of the crap that you put on the plug, coat the plug w/ it and let it set up as per. directions. Also try to just touch the very end of the plug so you dont get the glue all messed up, and after you are done mix some dish soap and a little water and pour it on the plug area, watch for tiny little bubbles, no bubbles no leak, do that before you plug it also to locate the exact spot you need to plug, good luck.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:46 AM

id patch it..not just a tire plug to be safe

Old 07-15-2012, 02:53 AM

I almost forgot, when you are done and confirmed you have no leak, cut the extra plug flush w/ tire using a pair of dikes or something good and sharp. But yes, a patch IS always best.

Quick Reply: Patching tire puncture